Linux Mint as a Package for Ubuntu

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Why not make a "linux-mint-desktop" package just like the "kubuntu-desktop" package so that Kubuntu and Ubuntu users could install or just try Linux Mint using one simple command without needing to download and install a completely different distribution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint as a Package for Ubuntu

Post by scorp123 »

Johnny wrote:Why not make a "linux-mint-desktop" package just like the "kubuntu-desktop" package so that Kubuntu and Ubuntu users could install or just try Linux Mint using one simple command without needing to download and install a completely different distribution?
I absolutely second that! That would be very very cool. Given that Ubuntu and Kubuntu can do that and given that LinuxMint is not that far away from the two (at least "Barbara" wasn't ... I haven't tried "Bea" yet) this should be possible. Clem? S'il vous pla
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello scorpion 123,

I am already running Kubuntu Edgy on my Bea istallation. That way you get lots of packages not included in Mint. I do have a couple of problems though.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint as a Package for Ubuntu

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:I am already running Kubuntu Edgy on my Bea istallation.
But what about the other way round? e.g. modify Ubuntu Edgy so it becomes a LinuxMint?
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

I could never download Ubuntu Edgy without any problems in the ISO file :?

I tried and tried again. Maybe that was good for me because I discovered Linux Mint. Good for Mint, too.

As far as your question is concerned, that was already done by Clem, I think.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I installed Edgy on my Win XP computer but it wouldn't install on my newly built one. Mint installed without a problem. It was either my cd combo drive spinning too fast (sounded like a tornado!) or a problem with my SiS on-board video on the new box. The cd drive went slower with Mint.

I did have to reconfigure the set up as it came up with video driver unknown. Although I had video, it wasn't until I configured Mint to use the SiS driver that I got full functionality and was able to change the resolution.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks techne.

Indeed. It is feasible, and it would require extra-work, and as mentioned above it is not our number #1 priority.

Barbara was 99% edgy, Bea is probably still 90% edgy... Bianca will be less than that. Although future version of Linux Mint will be compatible with Ubuntu packages and repositories, we're introducing more and more differences and sometimes taking a different direction than Ubuntu.

It is possible to make a meta-package that would include all of Bea+Barbara changes and allow Ubuntu users to get a similar desktop, but it would require extra work... and at the moment I see more important things that need to be done.

If you look at the Kubuntu project, they have different ways to install their distribution on a computer:
- live CD
- alternate install
- kubuntu-desktop on top of Ubuntu
- upgrade from previous Ubuntu versions

We, as a project, only provide the live CD option. I know there is a need for the other options to be done, but we're still a very small team and before we address "different ways to do one thing" we want to make sure we're finished with making that "one thing" the best as possible.

Now, if somebody wants to take responsibility and lead one of these sub-projects, that would be great. But as far as I'm concerned the priority goes to Bianca (2.2) and after that to Linux Mint 2.3.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”