XP Won't Boot After Mint Installation - dual boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ironworker15

XP Won't Boot After Mint Installation - dual boot problem

Post by ironworker15 »

I have the dual boot problem. Sometimes it works for a few times booting Mint 8, then when I select XP, it starts to load and then a slight flash across the screen, then goes back to the selection screen (Grub?). I have tried it a few times....at first I thought it might be caused by the upgrades changing the grub screen to green, but it does the same thing on the plain screen. I can fix it with "Super Grub Disk" but it is not permanent, and reverts to wiping out the XP boot. I am not a DOS...... or command line computer user. I am using a $300 (Walmart) Compaq C60-419WM laptop. (New)80 GB HD with three partitions. XP is 20GB FAT32. Mint is 12GB and the rest is a storage partition (in the middle) either Mint or XP can use. I have been carrying around a "Super Grub Disk" to use for rescue, but it is a hassle. If I don't boot Mint..... The XP boot works OK.... But once I boot Mint... There is a good chance the XP boot will not work.

This was not a easy computer to downgrade from Vista. I believe HP and MS conspired to make it as difficult as possible....... As HP doesn't have drivers. It can be done, but it takes some scrounging for drivers. As for "7" I am not thrilled with it.... it is better than "VISTA" but has absolutely no advantage over XP that I can see for average users. It is not just the fact you have to fork over $100+ for "7", but you are stuck with buying new printers (If you are like me and have OLD printers) because Cannon doesn't have drivers for VISTA or 7. There are many things I like about Mint..... Such as: It will play most video types without having to look for codecs. The boot thing is a big pain in the butt.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ironworker15

Re: XP Won't Boot After Mint Installation

Post by ironworker15 »

BTW, I have the same set up on a 10" EEE PC Netbook that works just fine. The Grub stays intact.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

ironworker15 wrote:I have the dual boot problem. Sometimes it works for a few times booting Mint 8, then when I select XP, it starts to load and then a slight flash across the screen, then goes back to the selection screen (Grub?). I have tried it a few times....at first I thought it might be caused by the upgrades changing the grub screen to green, but it does the same thing on the plain screen. I can fix it with "Super Grub Disk" but it is not permanent, and reverts to wiping out the XP boot. I am not a DOS...... or command line computer user. I am using a $300 (Walmart) Compaq C60-419WM laptop. (New)80 GB HD with three partitions. XP is 20GB FAT32. Mint is 12GB and the rest is a storage partition (in the middle) either Mint or XP can use. I have been carrying around a "Super Grub Disk" to use for rescue, but it is a hassle. If I don't boot Mint..... The XP boot works OK.... But once I boot Mint... There is a good chance the XP boot will not work.

This was not a easy computer to downgrade from Vista. I believe HP and MS conspired to make it as difficult as possible....... As HP doesn't have drivers. It can be done, but it takes some scrounging for drivers. As for "7" I am not thrilled with it.... it is better than "VISTA" but has absolutely no advantage over XP that I can see for average users. It is not just the fact you have to fork over $100+ for "7", but you are stuck with buying new printers (If you are like me and have OLD printers) because Cannon doesn't have drivers for VISTA or 7. There are many things I like about Mint..... Such as: It will play most video types without having to look for codecs. The boot thing is a big pain in the butt.
Boot into Mint and run the command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Wait for it to say "done" and then try a reboot.

If that fails to correct the problem please post the results of the Boot Info Script as described here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
ironworker15

Post by ironworker15 »

I tried the "update-grub" as suggested. It did not work either. Windows will begin to load, then a screen flash and it reverts back to the grub screen. I am beginning to believe the bios in this laptop is not going to work with dual booting. I will remove Mint and learn to live without it........ Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”