MINT's SUCCESS

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

WELCOME FELICIA

Post by npap »

cc
Last edited by npap on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: MINT SUCCESS

Post by clem »

Even though he lives in Ireland, I don't think Clem has any magic faery wands that he can wave to make all these wishes come true right away
I do actually. It just doesn't have any drivers for Linux... :lol:

It's true what you said about the forums and the community. There's a great ambiance here. I used to be part of it, to read every single post and to reply to every thread and it was a lot of fun. I remember a lot of names (and npap's more than any other). Of course things have grown out of proportion and I can't afford to do that anymore, I barely spend anytime on the forums nowadays. I miss that.. but more importantly I also lost touch and I don't actually know what's going on here, what people think, what problems they face and what they would like me to do about it. Husse started as a moderator and it helped tremendously. He also spent more time on the forums than anyone else and as Fred pointed out he's making a huge difference in the success of this community and its distribution. He helps, he moderates, he welcomes, and there's all the little things he does... but there's something nobody mentioned: He catches my attention on what's important. He relays important feedback to me. He's there between me and the community listening to everyone out there and making sure I hear what he feels is the most important. This is something I never asked him to do. He just grew into that position and this has become a key role within the team and an essential part of the reason why Mint is still succeeding despite having a larger community. We're still listening, we're still gathering feedback... and it's all mostly thanks to Husse. He's that strong link between the distribution and the community and a very important member of our team.

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

And here is a nice review of Mint 6, Felicia.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... licia.html
200px-John_William_Waterhouse_-_Pandora_(1896).jpg
npap
Level 6
Level 6

ANTI-VIRUS ADVICE

Post by npap »

VIRUS PROTECTION

A nasty virus is here I'm told
The Windows are open, I'm getting a cold
Do you remember if you ever got
An anti-Windows virus shot?

But if perchance you get the flu
A shot of Irish stuff may do
And take me folks another hint
Try out some tasty Irish Mint

Bottoms up!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

GLORIA

LinuxMint Gloria is finally here
Congrats to the team and many a cheer
Loaded with goodies and many thrills
Pretty and green like the Irish hills

She made her debut with beauty and grace
In flashing green with silk and lace
Glorious Gloria will be her name
Wish her success and lasting fame

Another lady in the Linux Mint collection
Charming, with glamor and much affection
Competing with all the other girls
Mint's gems and shiny pearls

npap
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

how could we use computers without Internet ?
in this city there were several Bulletin Board(s) ( BB'S). :)

you dialed into the main number of that BBs.

you would have connected @ 300 baud, - later 1200/75 (viatel mode ) & later still @ 1200/1200.
I still remember some electronic magazines that brought out a kit for each "new" faster speed.
300 / 1200/75 / 1200/1200 / 2400 / 4800 / 9600 /14,400 was the biggie !!
finally 28,800 then 56K (WOW )

At 300 baud, you could watch each character as it went across the screen.
At 1200 it was a whole line @ a time, after that, it was too fast to read !! :o

This would have been in the late 80s.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
almigi

Post by almigi »

Pierre wrote:
how could we use computers without Internet ?
in this city there were several Bulletin Board(s) ( BB'S). :)

you dialed into the main number of that BBs.
I miss the BBSs of the olden days... When downloading a file wasn't a matter of torrents or mirror sites but deciding whether you wanted to use XMODEM, YMODEM, or ZMODEM. :D
royalsefton

Post by royalsefton »

almigi wrote:Anyone remember the old Apple IIs? Not only could you use AppleSoft BASIC, but if you knew how, you could enter "CALL -151" to enter the system monitor and even write hexadecimal code. Which while not useful for programming from scratch, it meant that those magazines and books full of BASIC programs could include more complex programs that could be entered directly into the computer without the need for an assembler. Of course, once in the system monitor, you could even invoke the built in Apple II miniassembler, which allowed very basic assembly language programming (but no high end features found in commercial assemblers). Do you remember how if you had a modem connected to your computer, even without a terminal program, just entering a few commands at the "]" prompt put you in terminal mode? Granted, it was a dumb terminal with no file xfer features, and you actually had to know how to talk to your modem via AT commands, but it worked! Just "ATDT <bbs phone number>" and whola (assuming there was no busy signal).

I MISS THOSE DAYS!

That all died in the mid 90s. Computers became boring. Yes, some cool games existed and the user interface dramatically improved, but there was still something lacking that was there in the old days.
I could not agree more. I was raised on the openness of the Apple II series of computers and find migration to free software something of a return to form. GNU/Linux distributions seem closest to that experience by bringing so much functionality to the forefront of the operating system, rather than obfuscating (or altogether eliminating) it. Games keep me coming back to Windows once in awhile, but I hope to swear it off for good now. :D

I have only today begun to use Linux Mint, having used several other distributions over the past few years. I'm very impressed with Mint thus far and I hope to get to know the community, as it appears to be its most touted asset!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

royalsefton wrote:
almigi wrote:Anyone remember the old Apple IIs? Not only could you use AppleSoft BASIC, but if you knew how, you could enter "CALL -151" to enter the system monitor and even write hexadecimal code. Which while not useful for programming from scratch, it meant that those magazines and books full of BASIC programs could include more complex programs that could be entered directly into the computer without the need for an assembler. Of course, once in the system monitor, you could even invoke the built in Apple II miniassembler, which allowed very basic assembly language programming (but no high end features found in commercial assemblers). Do you remember how if you had a modem connected to your computer, even without a terminal program, just entering a few commands at the "]" prompt put you in terminal mode? Granted, it was a dumb terminal with no file xfer features, and you actually had to know how to talk to your modem via AT commands, but it worked! Just "ATDT <bbs phone number>" and whola (assuming there was no busy signal).

I MISS THOSE DAYS!

That all died in the mid 90s. Computers became boring. Yes, some cool games existed and the user interface dramatically improved, but there was still something lacking that was there in the old days.
I could not agree more. I was raised on the openness of the Apple II series of computers and find migration to free software something of a return to form. GNU/Linux distributions seem closest to that experience by bringing so much functionality to the forefront of the operating system, rather than obfuscating (or altogether eliminating) it. Games keep me coming back to Windows once in awhile, but I hope to swear it off for good now. :D

I have only today begun to use Linux Mint, having used several other distributions over the past few years. I'm very impressed with Mint thus far and I hope to get to know the community, as it appears to be its most touted asset!
Welcome to the Linux Mint Family! :D
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Sounds like us!! :mrgreen:

LinuxMINT rocks??
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Sure Does!!!
:D :D :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

MINT SUCCESS

Just spread the word to all the nations
That Linux Mint must have donations
Success is not so easy though
It needs support, it needs some dough
:lol:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Another good review in Linux Magazine,

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Ne ... 8-Released

Go, Helena!!
ipernar

Post by ipernar »

Mint! Mint! Mint! What else to say? :D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

SEASON'S GREETINGS

Post by npap »

WISHING YOU
A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO CHRISTIAN FRIENDS
SEASON'S GREETINGS TO ALL OTHER RELIGIOUS GROUPS
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

AND A HAPPY, SUCCESSFUL NEW YEAR TO LINUX MINT
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

same hear!!!!! :D :D :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Every one of my friends who tried out Mint didn't regret it, that's a big success isn't it? :D I think we're getting more and more known, or at least that's just my hope!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MINT SUCCESS AND THE SPIRIT OF GNU

Post by npap »

Hello my friends,

There was a time when I was very confident about the success of Mint: I predicted that it would reach the 5th place in the DistroWatch list. :lol:

Look at Linux Mint now! :D
I am surely proud to belong to the Mint community.
If Socrates were alive today, he would have been a part of the project. :)

Cheers,
npap
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

ABOUT GNU

Post by blogger »

Let's see what GNU is all about
http://www.gnu.org/

Return to “Open Chat”