Stuck @ 2048x1536 with LiveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fbest

Stuck @ 2048x1536 with LiveCD

Post by fbest »

I have been trying Mint 7 Main on a 12 year old computer that I dug out of mothballs. Downloaded the iso,burnt the image,tried the LiveCD, installed without a problem. Everything worked, as advertised, out of the box. The old computer is a Dell XPS R450 with an upgraded Celeron 1.2 cpu, a GForce 2 Ti ,and an Intel BBX 440 MB. I was impressed. I tried other distros and decided that I was in love with "Gloria".

So, I put the LiveCD into my three year old XP3 computer to see how it worked on a faster system.(see specs below ) The regular setup failed to load. Crashed to a black screen. Loaded in compatibility mode to the desktop. But, and here is the problem, Mint 7 defaulted to a resolution of 2048x1536 with a refresh rate of 0. The monitor is not recognized. When I try to change the resolution thru the Display Utility the screen becomes corrupt and the computer freezes. When I click on recognize monitor nothing happens. Same thing happens with Mint 8. Since I am a "noob" and have not found a solution on Google I am posting here.

How do I change resolutions using the LiveCD?
If I install to my computer will I have the same problem?

Asus A8N-E socket 939 mb nvidia nForce4 chipset
Athlon 64 4000+
BFG Geforce 7800GT
Nec MultiSync 1250+ 22" CRT monitor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pompom

Re: Stuck @ 2048x1536 with LiveCD

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

Nec MultiSync monitors may require frame buffer support enabled. Sad to say but on my old Nec Multisync 3V monitor I could only run older kernels 2.4.26 and 2.6.8. Maybe you will find more information here. You may want to take Knoppix 4, Debian, or Puppy Linux for a spin. These distros have a much better support for older hardware.

Cheers,

pompom
fbest

Post by fbest »

pompom, You may be correct. I have been trying different distros to see what would work. Mint and Ubuntu both default to 2048x1536 as stated in my post. The following livecd"s will not run at all: Mepis,Fedora 12, and Opensuse11.2.
PCLinux OS 2009.2, and Mandriva-one 2010 both loaded and ran with no problem.

Any other opinions would be helpful. I'll have to see if I can try another monitor and see if that would narrow down the problem. With so many distros not responding I did come to the conclusion that it had to be hardware related.
fbest

Post by fbest »

Just to follow up. I hooked up a Viewsonic VA902b 19" lcd to my Atholn 4000+ computed and loaded Mint 8 livecd, in compatibility mode. Still black screen and freeze with normal install. It loaded with a screen resolution of 1280x1024. Could change this to 1020x768 and back again, no problem. The monitor is not recognized and the refresh rate is still 0.

I guess I will have to install Mint to disk and load the correct drivers to correct this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”