cant install helena casper/initrd.lz

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jl135w7

cant install helena casper/initrd.lz

Post by jl135w7 »

i am new to linux. my friend told me to try it out. i installed linux mint7. wanted to try 8. (only had linux mint 7 for like 1 hr) downloaded the iso from linuxmint.com and burned it using k3b. i also have a copy of kubuntu. what i am doing:
1. i put in the kubuntu cd...retart computer boot from cd.
2. at the language screen i switch to the lm 8 helena cd
3. i hit install and then i get an error message
BOOT LOADER
/CASPER/INITRD.LZ

i have no idea what that means. i made 3 diff copies of the iso and they all do the same thing. i also downloaded a new copy from a diff mirror and tried that one. same thing.

i have a dell studio hybrid. plz someone help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rob2uk

Re: cant install helena casper/initrd.lz

Post by rob2uk »

Why are you switching CD?

Just start the PC from the Helena disc
jl135w7

Post by jl135w7 »

well when i installd linux mint 7 i had to do that cause it would not start the install process. and the same thing with 8. i reboot from cd and it wont do anything . but f i start with kubuntu( basically the same loader) then switch cds at the language screen it will start the load but it will load the linux not kubuntu. if it would boot straight from the helena cd i would.
metamorphousthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by metamorphousthe »

My wife had the same problem when installing LM7 (in the past) and now LM8, that starting the install on the Dell Hybrid studio, for some reason it either can't handle the graphics, even trying to go first with LIVE.

My wife had to use K/Ubuntu LIVE, then go into the INSTALL process and either at the LANGUAGE or right before the FORMATTING and that was the only way to INSTALL LM7 or 8

That is the reason he switched discs.
metamorphousthe
"It's all about change"
jl135w7

Post by jl135w7 »

that is true. but i have solved the issue for me.

1. linux mint 7 and the version of kubuntu i was using are from the same release time. i was using the older kubuntu with the newer linux mint. they run diff loaders so i had to download the newer version of ubuntu which runs the same loaders as linux mint 8. once i booted from the new ubuntu cd and go to the install screen. i ejected that disk and inserted the linux mint 8 cd. then it booted just fine and i have a perfect install. so if anybody else has a dell studio hybrid and are thinking about installing linux then that is what you have to do. thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”