Installation problem Linux Mint 8 x64

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlueLion

Installation problem Linux Mint 8 x64

Post by BlueLion »

Hi there,
I'm a content user of Linux Mint 6 Felicia x64, because of support issues I'm trying to install Linux Mint 8 x64, though.
Unfortunately I get massive installation problrems. The ISO CD has got the correct MD5-value, nevertheless the Integrity-check for the ISO reports one damaged file (it doesn't say which one, though).
Furthermore the installation program doesn't recognize the Mint 6-installation on my system.
Installation of MInt 8 in normal mode is cancelled with errors, installation in compatibility mode fails with I/O-errors - a new installation of Mint 6 runs flawless.
Can anybody help me? If I can't get any support I may have no other choice than to switch to Ubuntu (that I don't wanna do ...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installation problem Linux Mint 8 x64

Post by remoulder »

BlueLion wrote:the Integrity-check for the ISO reports one damaged file
Sounds like a bad burn. Try burning a new copy at the slowest speed and do the integrity check again.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pompom

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

In order to assist you more better with the install, it will be helpful to have a few more details about the target hardware

Code: Select all

inxi -v 5
Cheers,

pompom
BlueLion

Post by BlueLion »

Thanks for the reply, but I managed the installation now, used the same CD drive to boot, that burned the installer CD.
Even so, only one of 10 install trials succeeded. I think Mint and Ubuntu have a serious issue with their installer here ...
This problem seems to be fairly frequent, also with Ubuntu, if I trust some Ubuntu forums ...
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have experienced a few hardware issues with one of my machines having some kind of allergic reaction to Mint 7 and 8 (as well as Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10) even with compatibility mode. This is not my first rodeo with Linux, and I did try every trick I could find. I was frustrated, but Debian Lenny loaded on that one machine with absolutely no issue at all.

I did keep noticing the I/O and SQUASH/FS errors on the screen right before everything would grind to a halt. On the odd instances where I could actually get into the Ubiquity installer, the system would die at two different points, one of them at 66%, and I forget the other one, but it was somewhere around 30%. Basically, I had written off that machine as being Debian-Only. It worked flawlessly with Debian, so I was content enough.

When Linux Mint 8 came out, I downloaded it and burned it to a CD. I updated my Mint machine with a clean install. I loaned that CD to a friend (who never returned it, by the way), so I needed to burn a new disc. However, I ran out of CD-Rs that same day, and I figured I would use a DVD+R instead. Just as a test, I put that DVD with the regular Mint 8 64-bit version ISO in my finicky Debian machine, and to my amazement, it booted to the desktop in record time. I went back and burned a copy of Mint 7 64-bit to a DVD+R instead of a CD-R, and it booted up to a desktop, as well.

Making a long story short, I discovered that the finicky machine apparently had issues with SQUASH/FS on a CD, but did not have any problem with it on a DVD. The experts can explain the differences in how information is burned and stored differently on a CD vs DVD, but I just know that it I have no more problems with Linux Mint or Ubuntu on that machine as long as I burn the CD ISO to a DVD. I am not saying this will fix your problem, but if you have a spare DVD+R handy, it might be worth a few minutes to test it out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”