How to get Beryl working in Cassandra?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oho - KrazyPenguin is right but first you have to install the 3D drivers, or you may get problems....
Envy (-t or -g) will do it for nvidia and ATI
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

No! Do NOT install the ATI proprietary driver. It does not work with Beryl (well, not without o whole lot of extra headache). The Nvidia driver is fine, but if you have ATI you should be using the open-source driver.

If you could give us some info on what hardware you are running it would help us trouble-shoot your issues.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Lolo Uila which driver does envy install? Haven't used ATI for at least 5 years...
But to start envy without 3d driver gets you into some real problems....
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Depends on what card you have. For most recent ATI cards Envy installs the proprietary ATI (closed-source) driver.

By default the ATI closed source driver does not support composite extensions and doesn't work with Beryl or Compiz. You can get it to work if you run your desktop in an XGL session. To do that involves installing XGL and downgrading Beryl to an older version. I have that running on my test system because the open source driver is very unstable with the 9700 Pro that's in that system. It works pretty well, once you get past the getting-it-to-work hassles. I still haven't managed to get the Emerald themes working, though.

In my primary system I'm running an ATI X800 XT PE and it works great with the open-source driver and Beryl/Emerald. I've got it running on dual monitors now, with dual desktop cubes. It's pretty cool.

Click here for picture...

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I have run Beryl on a Sony notebook with an Intel graphics controller and it seemed to work well. The Intel chip has some 3D acceleration. It's not as fast as recent ATI or Nvidia chips, but it should be fine for Beryl.

Return to “Beginner Questions”