Wireless problem on DELL Studio XPS 1340.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edie

Wireless problem on DELL Studio XPS 1340.

Post by edie »

Hi to everybody, I have installed Mint 8 on a Dell Studio XPS 1340 (before I had Mint 7 and I had the same problem I am going to explain).
Apparently the wireless card (Dell Wireless 1515-N Wireless Adapter, Producer Atheros Communications Inc.)is correctly detected and configured; I can configure and connect to my home (or office) wireless network but the connect is unstable: after about ten minutes the connection is disabled and then it tries to connect again without success. I would really appreciate if you have any suggestion.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Edie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Wireless problem on DELL Studio XPS 1340.

Post by remoulder »

Please post entire Atheros section of output from lspci -vvnn in terminal.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
edie

Post by edie »

This the section:
06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002a] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device [168c:0200]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
Region 0: Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

Thank you very much
Edie
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

edie, I suspect your problem may be connected to the one in this bug report.

In mint update, can you go to Edit then Preferences and put a tick in the level 5 Visible box, click Apply, then click Refresh on the toolbar. Hopefully you should get about 5 updates some of which are for the linux kernel to 2.6.31.16-generic. Select them all and apply, when it's finished close everything and reboot then retry your wireless.

NB. If you don't get any updates listed for level 5, you may need to enable some of the other repos in Software sources such as Upstream, Imports and Backports.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
edie

Post by edie »

Hi thanks for the advice. I have tried but it seems that all the available updates are already installed.
Actually now I discovered that the problem is even a little bit more tricky. I was connected to my
wireless network with my Dell XPS 1340 and also with another laptop (and also with my cell phone).
I saw that when my Dell disconnected also the other devices were not able any more to connect to
the network. I tried to reconnect with the other laptop (using Windows) but I got an error message
saying that the WPA2 key was wrong. I had to reset my wireless router in order to be able to connect
again.
Regards
Edie

Return to “Hardware Support”