Unable to Boot Gloria or Install - Wrong Screen Resolution

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmgant

Unable to Boot Gloria or Install - Wrong Screen Resolution

Post by pmgant »

I downloaded Gloria and I'm having problems getting it to work. Either booting it as a live CD or running the installation program I get as far as the point where X Windows starts then the screen goes blank and I get a LCD monitor warning message telling me that the PC resolution is set too high (it is a 1024 x 768 monitor). Installation or boot continues but I can't see it!

How do I force Mint Gloria to a lower resolution when it boots as a live CD?

P M Gant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Unable to Boot Gloria or Install - Wrong Screen Resolution

Post by Husse »

Try Compatibility mode (Press any key while the CD counts down)
pmgant

Post by pmgant »

OK, booting in compatibility mode and then installing did the trick and now all I need to do is make my Mint install work at a higher resolution than 800x600. Until then even Stevie Wonder can read the screen. 8) 8)

PMG
Husse

Post by Husse »

To help you with that we need to know a bit about your hardware
If you have nvidia or ATI install the proprietary drivers
If you don't or that did not help run lspci (in a terminal) and post here
Also run lspci -vvnn and post the section for your graphics card only (very long list)
pmgant

Post by pmgant »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have just returned from hernia surgery :shock:

Anyone who has problems selecting a resolution better than 800x600 needs to add the following lines to the Monitor section of their xorg.conf file, TAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE FIRST.

OPTION "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 50-75

After altering the file save it and restart X using CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE and you should find a lot more options when you set the resolution. Try settings one at a time and if you do something stupid (been there, done that) just wait and the system will jump back to the previous setting.

Why does this happen? I think that there is a bug in the monitor detection part of Ubuntu/Mint setup, if it doesn't recognize your monitor it assumes that it is an SVGA device with maximum resolution of 800x600. Things could be worse, how many of us have installed MS Windows and been met with a 640x480 screen in 16 colors?

P M Gant
Husse

Post by Husse »

Windows, Linux and Mac and any other operating system I presume reads EDID from the monitor - the monitor has it's specs stored so it can be read. Sometimes that gets corrupted and can't be read properly
DPMS is sort of the same thing
HorizSync should perhaps be 30-90, 81 is what 1280x1024@75 uses
To find out run gtf in terminal like
gtf 1280 1024 75
This works in many cases but not all, one might have to resort to modelines in the worst case
Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the DPMS option

Return to “Installation & Boot”