grub won't load after installing new drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lex71x

grub won't load after installing new drive

Post by lex71x »

hi, i installed a new sata hard drive and now i'm getting grub error 22... how can i configure it to recognize a new drive?
i already checked out the wiki, but it says i shouldn't be having a problem with all sata drives...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: grub won't load after installing new drive

Post by remoulder »

According to google
Error 22 is an error from GRUB Legacy, not GRUB 2. It sounds as though you still accidentally have GRUB Legacy installed somewhere, and
furthermore that you have a GRUB 2 installation that wasn't correctly updated on upgrade to 9.10. I'd recommend running 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure
grub-pc' to re-educate the GRUB 2 package about where it should install itself.
Sounds like your new drive changed the disk order.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
lex71x

Post by lex71x »

i have mint 7.. not sure how to upgrade to 8, so i dont' think i have grub 2.

so it's trying to load stuff from the new drive? how can i change the order back?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

lex71x wrote:i have mint 7
Sorry shouldn't make assumptions. Grub error 22 simple means it's looking for a disk/partition that is no longer there. It often happens when users delete partitions. Putting the new drive in has probably changed the drive order so grub is looking in the wrong place. You can use either the super grub disk or the system rescue CD to fix the problem
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Sounds like your new drive changed the disk order.
More likely there was a partition that was in the boot lineup on the old hard drive. If the drive was removed and a new virgin inserted in it's place, this would explain why GRUB can't find what it's looking for.

-DataMan
lex71x

Post by lex71x »

actually i didn't take out any drives.. had two drives, added a third one from a computer with a non-working windows installation (virus killed it) so i could recover it thats when the problem started. unplugged it and everything works fine.. ok so i'll try fixing the boot order with super grub disk and see if it works.

Return to “Installation & Boot”