Can Not Load Live Cd on Dell

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zackattack_11843

Can Not Load Live Cd on Dell

Post by zackattack_11843 »

i am trying to load a live cd on one of the DELL computers at work and it will not boot. It is running XP and im trying a mint live cd.
i have tried changing the primary boot device from disket to Cd drive, and turning the OS installer from off to on, but still nothing. It does have a lot of security programs and blockers could this be the reason, if so how do i bypass this.
The cd is good i've checked it
any help would be much obliged
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Can Not Load Live Cd on Dell

Post by MaddogF16 »

What exactly is happening? Is it booting into windows as normal, or are you getting errors, or getting to the grub screen?
mintoholic

Post by mintoholic »

i have the exact same problem. I am using a Dell Vostro 200 desktop. About 2-3 years old. But I had Mint 7 (Gloria) previously and it ran really great. This time I used DBAN to totally wipe the drive for a clean install. I popped the 64-bit Live CD in and it freezes on the big Mint leaf logo that loads.

I tried selection the other GRUB menu options but nothing seems to work...

Then I tried the 32-bit Live CD. It load everything up until before the desktop where you have nothing but a black (blank background) and the mouse loading (wheel) icon. It just stayed there...never got to the desktop and menu...:-(

I'm afraid I'll have to try the normal boring Ubuntu 9.10 now. There's no point in going back to Gloria.

Please post any fixes on how to install Linux Mint 8 here, even how to install via Command Line.
pompom

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

You may need to add --nodmraid option before booting, or try compatibility mode.

Cheers,

pompom
zackattack_11843

Post by zackattack_11843 »

it just loads windows like normal and i am using the 32 bit cd
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

zackattack_11843 wrote:i am trying to load a live cd on one of the DELL computers at work and it will not boot. It is running XP and im trying a mint live cd.
i have tried changing the primary boot device from disket to Cd drive, and turning the OS installer from off to on, but still nothing. It does have a lot of security programs and blockers could this be the reason, if so how do i bypass this.
The cd is good i've checked it
any help would be much obliged
You say that your works computer has a lot of security programs and blockers installed. Could it be that your firm is trying hard to stop you from installing anything onto their computers?. You should NOT be trying to bypass your firms safety measures.

As there are a couple of "Dell" installation threads, why not contact "Dell" and seek their advice on loading "Linux"

Best regards Keith

Best regards Keith
harryroy

Post by harryroy »

Hi , i have take new HCL company laptop but when i am going to install operating system xp in that laptop it some time detect the cd and start the installation but it take a lot time to load installation , then after it restart automatically without complete installation and saw me a blue scree with some binary code , my friend told me your laptop hard disc have some problem, if anybody have solution please give , i will so thanks full of them

Return to “Installation & Boot”