Google wont load.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

Google wont load.

Post by Arron »

Got a weird one. I just setup mint 8 on a friends older pc. She had it for a bit all updates were done, then started having some web issues.

I have no idea what she did or what happened but she couldn't browses and the connection was connected but couldn't seem to do anything. I connected it via wire, did some updates with apt (was a couple one was a crypto 5 library), deleted her old mozilla dir and then tried again.

It connected and seems to be fine for wifi. I can look at other pages, but it just hangs on google.com or .ca. Other pc's on the same network using dhcp, same wifi etc can get to google no problem. But her pc wont bring it up. Facebook and others i browse threw seem fine.

This seems very od to me, any help here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arron

Re: Google wont load.

Post by Arron »

I should add, there is no entries in domain blocker.
Arron

Re: Google wont load.

Post by Arron »

Found the problem. Ill post it in hopes to help anyone else.

The laptop has a Athereos AR2413 wifi card. With a default install of Mint 8, on first look it seems to work with wireless no additional help needed forminstall. Digging a little deeper, an unsecured network seems to run ok with some issues, but any secure network has nothing but issues from not opening some pages to opening others, mint update will, then wont work, ping will, then wont work etc.

I downloaded the drivers from the manufactures website, added them with windows Wireless Drivers, then blacklisted the ones that were loading in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, rebooted and bingo everything works like a charm.

What a huge difference it made even with just firefox opening up a lot faster.

Anyhow, moral of the story if you have any wifi hickups you cant explain, try the proper windows driver from the manufacturer.

Good luck and happy minting!

Return to “Software & Applications”