Problems with Linux Mint on Acer Aspire 4810 tz

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
popa Mirel

Problems with Linux Mint on Acer Aspire 4810 tz

Post by popa Mirel »

Hello, I'm not such advance user of Linux, i can say basic is the rule. i've worked before a few months with Fedora 11 but i had some problems with the lcd brightness.
Now with this version of linux is almost the same, way I say almost, because I succeed to control the brightness but every time I do that the computer is getting stuck.
To control the brightness I use the combination Fn+Left/Right, if I want to use the control from menu has no effect.....
So my big question is "What to do?"
Thank you for your concern!
With respect Mirel!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Problems with Linux Mint on Acer Aspire 4810 tz

Post by MaddogF16 »

Mint 7 or Mint 8?
pompom

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
edit the line which has "current:100" with another value

Another approach would require experimenting a bit to find the optimal value

Code: Select all

sudo echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

or

sudo echo -n 60 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

Cheers,

pompom
popa Mirel

Problems with Linux Mint 8 on Acer Aspire 4810 tz

Post by popa Mirel »

Hi again, Sorry I forget to mention that I have install Linux Mint 8 (Helene)
Unfortunately non of the methods that u have told me doesn't work, because first of all my root directory looks like that :/proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01(or DDO2.....until to DDO5), each folder has a file named "brightness" but i can not open it, my access is denied, way? I have no idea, in terminal I use "su" command.
When n I try to use this command login as "su' the answer is this:" bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument", the command line is this:" oem-laptop oem # echo -n 60 > /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01/brightness".
When I try to use this command:" oem@oem-laptop ~ $ sudo echo -n 60 > /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01/brightness", the answer is :"bash: /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD01/brightness: Permission denied"

thanks for your concern
greetings
popa Mirel

Post by popa Mirel »

Hi
I came with good news.....after long researchers I found pit how to fix the brightness problem: only by using "No effects desktop" or something like that. When I want to use desktop with no other effects is no problem, even it can be controlled ONLY from the Fn+Left/Right combination, when I want to use with desktop effects it gets jammed. So I think is a kernel problem, a software problem somewhere The other problem is that I can't use my microphone.....again software problem, in windows 7 it's working. And how I can increase my battery time? Some options please.....

Thanks in advance
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

On a laptop the screen brightness has a big impact on life,and running the cpu at full tilt.
popa Mirel

Post by popa Mirel »

Tks, as about the brightness i know, as about the processor it has 1.3 Mhz and I can go down until 1.2 Mhz, but is not enough, and i've seen that I can earn some power from installing the right wireless driver, i still don't find it........is there any option from were I can gain some extra power?
popa Mirel

Post by popa Mirel »

Hi dear ones, I came back with the solution for my big problem that I had it on my Acer Timeline 4810TZ-4696, the back lite switch from key shortcuts.

My GRUB file looks like this :

GRUB_DEFAULT=4
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

I used this scripts : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=6
: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1217421&page=5

Now I'm using Linux Mint Katya 11 Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic GENOME 2.32.1

I HOPE THIS WILL BE USEFUL