Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Post by scorp123 »

BurungHantu wrote: What I am asking right now, is what is wrong with Repoś? Skype can't be downloaded? Neither can the new Skype 1.4 be downloaded either?
Skype is commercial + closed source ... Unlikely that it will be ever in the repos unless the commercial manufacturer agrees to this kind of distribution channel (as did e.g. Adobe with their Acrobat Reader and VMware with their "VMware Server" products)

You either have to download it from the Skype web site, or use the "Software Portal", or use something like "Automatix2". Google is your friend. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote: There is a repository for skype :shock:
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

Add it to your sources list if you want. However the newest version is 1.4.0.74 BETA and most likely won't be in the repos.
That is one you will get the best voice quality and features with.

This is easy to install the beta:
go here:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/

-> click on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn -> open with "GDebi Package Installer"

Have fun !!!
;-)
There you go ... they have their own repos. It's not in one of the Ubuntu repos such as "commercial" as the rest (Adobe, VMware, etc.)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Somebody can probably check that for me... but I think the Software portal actually installs Skype 1.4...

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?sec=item&id=4

(don't mind the version number written in the portal. The mint file points at a repo.. if the repo updates its package, the version changes but the portal doesn't reflect that change automatically).

By the way people, we've got a really cool way to install software here in Linux Mint. If something is not in the portal, just ask for it. Tweaking sources.list and googling for 3pp repos should be a thing of the past.

Clem
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Skype works perfect, the only thing is when you are installing it with mintInstall you have to open to see the details because Skype will ask you to accept the license and you do not get see it unless you click to see the details.

Return to “Beginner Questions”