[SOLVED] best email client and spam control

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] best email client and spam control

Post by hansencomputers »

Greetings,
Just a quick question about email client programs and Spam control. Personally, I use WEB mail, and don't worry about spam, but currently I am setting up a friends system as a dual-boot with Mint 8 :)

She is used to using Mozilla Thunderbird with Windows, but she is very flexible when it comes to programs.

I am wondering what is the best email client/spam control combo? I would like something that can be taught, and I'm just looking for what others think is best.

Is Thunderbird the best choice?
Is there a plug-in for T-bird?

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT:
I have installed Claws Mail, and have also added claws_mail_spamassasin from the package manager. I see the "spam" button was added to the Calws Mail tool bar, but it is not active. Is there any advice to making this active?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I_can_see_the_light

Re: best email client and spam control

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

Perhaps you have to activate the plugin? Look in > Configuration > Plugins or > Configuration > Preferences > Plugins. I don't get spam so I have never used that particular plugin.

Thunderbird has however a built in spam control, or were you looking for an auto updated spam filter?
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Thunderbird has however a built in spam control, or were you looking for an auto updated spam filter?
The built-in Thunderbird spam control is not as effective as we need. We are looking for better spam control, that can also learn.

Regarding spamassasin plug-in for Claws Mail, I read that spamassasin needs to be running. From the repository, I installed spamassasin, but I guess maybe it isn't running. This could be the problem, how do I get that "running"

Thanks for your feedback,

Mike
I_can_see_the_light

After a bit of research i found that the daemon that should be running is called spamd. Start the System Monitor and click > View > All Processes. Then check whether spamd is running. Otherwise you might have to add it to your startup applications.

There is also another spamfilter for Claws Mail called bogofilter.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

check whether spamd is running. Otherwise you might have to add it to your startup applications.

Thanks,
How would I add it to my startup applications?

Mike
I_can_see_the_light

hansencomputers wrote:Thanks,
How would I add it to my startup applications?

Mike

Open the Control center, then under Personal you should find Startup Applications. Click Add. The important thing now is what you type in the command field. Hopefully it will be enough to just enter spamd, otherwise I might just have to install spamassassin myself. In the Name field you can type anything you want, however Spamassassin Daemon would be a good choice ;)

Otherwise there's an easy way to add programs to your Startup Apps is to look for them in the MintMenu and right click > Launch when I log in

I just remembered, you don't by any chance have an entry in your menu for anything related to spamassassin? Or perhaps in the Control Center?
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Gmail has the best spam/virus filters I've ever seen. I can't remember the last time I got a false hit or a miss on spam, but it's like one in several thousand emails. It works fine with POP or IMAP if you want your emails on your personal machine as well as on the Gmail servers.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) Re: best email client and spam control

Sorry to report, but the spamassasin settings were in fact in the Claws mail preferences, and I had missed them. I truly appreciate the attention given to my question.

Consider it solved.

Thanks,
Mike

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Turns out I did have to add spamassasin daemon to the start menu. The instruction given, with "spamd" as the command, worked.

Problem is solved, and it was in fact necessary to add the startup item.

Thanks,
Mike
I_can_see_the_light

Ok, glad I could help. And on the plus side, now I know exactly how to get the spamassassin plugin to work :)

Return to “Software & Applications”