Helena's mintUpdate, on Gloria

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Helena's mintUpdate, on Gloria

Post by red-e-made »

I really love Helena's mintUpdate - specifically, being able to remove certain packages from the update list. However, I prefer using Gloria. Is it possible to install and run Helena's mintUpdate on Gloria?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Helena's mintUpdate, on Gloria

Post by Husse »

To be absolutely sure I'd have to dig deep, but I think not - there are more updates and probably a chain of dependencies that will make it hard
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I was skeptical too, until I tried it. Thanks to the push to make the tools more independent for Helena, it's relatively easy to get them installed, without the massive dependency issues. However, you do have to test the process in a VM before assuming there won't be any side-effects, luckily for you I've just done that, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything silly. Bearing in mind that this process will mean mintupdate itself will be in the ignored list, so you have to update it manually (sweetly ironic).

(pre-requisite, install git)

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install -y git-core
(copy and paste these lines into a terminal, either all at once or one at a time)

Code: Select all

cd ~/Projects
git clone git://github.com/linuxmint/mint-common.git
cd mint-common && ./test && cd ..
# optional - remove the '#'s to install the updated translations
#git clone git://github.com/linuxmint/mint-translations.git
#cd mint-translations && sudo cp -r usr && cd ..
git clone git://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate.git
cd mintupdate && ./test && cd ..

then add mintupdate to the list of ignored packages in preferences, before installing any updates.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Thank you very much for trying this out for me. I will get on this as soon as possible and report back.

Return to “Software & Applications”