Linux Mint Manual or Beginners Guide in Swedish

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rovanion

Linux Mint Manual or Beginners Guide in Swedish

Post by Rovanion »

Is there an up to date newcommers guide or manual for Linux Mint 7 in Swedish available? It is so that my grandmother, she installed it herself, has started using Linux Mint. And she wants some sort of guide to help her out.
So does this exist?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint Manual or Beginners Guide in Swedish

Post by Husse »

Sorry no
You might be able to run the English user guide through an online translation service like Google translate
You can even upload a document
It needs proofreading but these translations are getting pretty good
PS
Bra farmor/mormor du har :)
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

So,

if I wish to translate the manual and share it with the community, how would I do that? Is there an original Open-Office document or something that I can download, edit and submit, or do I have to write a document from scratch?
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Never mind the original. Turns out I can edit PDF-documents directly in Inkscape. Where do I send the translated version when I'm done?
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Never mind Inkscape. Turns out I can only edit one page at the time, and when I print to PDF the result is crap. :D :cry: :D
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

To get the original, change .pdf to .odt in the download link and you get http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.odt Once translated, e-mail it (the modified odt) to Clem: root _AT_ linuxmint.com
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Excellent! I'll get right on it. :D
Rovanion

Post by Rovanion »

Swedie wrote:Excellent! I'll get right on it. :D
That's awesome. Once you're done with it I will proofread it. So upload your work onto this tread when you're done with it a first round and I'll help you with it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Rovanion - that saves me from doing it :)
I only hope you have the Swedish language skills :) (Definitely no harm intended)
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Well, an update might be in order me thinks.

I've translated some of the document for Gloria (introduction - installation) so that's the update on my progress. :)

Now a request for a little help on the side. I'm uncertain of some of the terms used in the Swedish language version of the installer (and also, it would be nice if I could get my hands on screenshots from the Swedish installation process). So, here's what I thought. I've heard it's possible to run a linux system within another linux system (somehow) and I thought maybe I could run the Live-CD from within my installed Mint and take screenshots and notes on what translations are actually already used in Mint itself. That would help me tremendously in the translation and allow me to insert localized screenshots.

Any help or link describing how I would do that (run the installer from within my Mint installation without actually installing anew) would be much appreciated.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Virtualbox :)

Code: Select all

apt install virtualbox
For this specific case that's all but for some more "advanced use" more can be said
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Rovanion wrote:...upload your work onto this tread when you're done with it a first round and I'll help you with it.
I couldn't upload to this thread because the file is apparently too large, so I put it
with mediafire instead. You can download it from this URL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hm0j1gytyzl/swedish.odt
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

I have a question about the user guide, but I'm not sure where to put it, so I'll just throw it in here (in case somebody drops by again someday - no I'm not bitter for the lack of responses to my previous post - really, I'm not - I'm just eager to hear from you and receive comments about the translation).

Right! My question!

The manual is well written and everything, but it seems poorly outlined and somewhat hap-hazard in its design. For instance, when translating it I realised that sometimes one format was used for the paragraphs and sometimes another (and I'm not talking about notes vs. actual paragraphs, but sometimes "Default" is used and sometimes" Normal (web)"...).

About the outline, an example would be the history section, which was more or less a repetition of the first few paragraphs in the introduction, rather than some actual historical information (for instance, it would be interesting to know who started the project, where (s)he's from - idealistically speaking, and so on; rather than how spectacular Mint is). And the purpose section just kept feeding the purpose of the system (which is good in that case, since that was actually the purpose section). Then there were repetitions of the same heeds elsewhere too.

I don't mean to be overly critical here, because I know well what effort is put into writing a full manual of this kind (and large parts of the document is definitely read worthy and informational - it's not a bad guide), but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself, if that's ok with clem and whomever else's been writing it. I would redo the entire outline and work some with the formatting, but a lot of the content is flawless and I would leave those parts as they are (simply juggle it around, remove some/add some to make the guide more coherent and comprehensible for absolute beginners - hopefully).

One thing that often struck me is that it is assumed the reader knows about certain details (such as what cd is) but not other more familiar things (partitions). One is not part of the Windows world (from where I suspect most new users come) and the other actually is. A little more clarification where needed (using footnotes perhaps) would be helpful to complete beginners, or migrating Windows junkies.

Would it be ok if I worked on the English version some, and if so where would I send the suggestions when I'm done? Wild guess: clem? Also, this would be on the Helena version (which is actually the version I'm using myself right now) rather than Gloria.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Actually cd is part of the Windows word - if you start the Windows shell - cmd.exe - the commands are very similar to those in Linux and cd is used the same way. The shell is of course not much used in Windows but is the only way to do some user administration in XP
I never have enough time - could you point me to some of the "oddities" you found
Any help is always welcome
PS Märkligt att skriva på engelska till en annan svensk :)
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

You're right, of course. It's been a long time since I used DOS myself, so I kinda remembered something like: "dir". (But that's the equivalent of ls, yes?)

I think I did point out the oddities. Looking it over I realised an error. In the installation section it's said that we'll go through every option in the control center. This never happens. Having thought about it, I think what it needs is a little fleshing out and reorganising. Maybe split it up into an installation guide and a user guide?

As for the layout and colour scheme of the document (as well as structure) I've redone the Swedish version to look a little better (in my own humble opinion). What do you think of it?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yu5m5mm5tt2/swedish.pdf

Faktum är att jag tycker det är mer naturligt att skriva på Engelska. Ett skadat forumbarn av min tid, kanske? :D :oops: :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't understand how I do to download that file.....
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

Husse wrote:I don't understand how I do to download that file.....
If you go to the URL, after a while, you should see a link that says: "Click here to start download...".

If you don't, let me know and I'll see if there's somewhere else I can upload these files. Maybe you've got a tip on where to upload them.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I use NoScript and I don't intend to allow scripting for half a dozen sites I've never heard of.....
mintUpload perhaps?
Husse

Post by Husse »

emorrp1 are you eavesdropping on me :)
Thanks - I may be a bit to paranoid after so many years before with Windows

Return to “Translations”