Trouble with GIMP 2.8 install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlr1701

Trouble with GIMP 2.8 install

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

I saw this post on the OMG! UBUNTU! site, and decided to give installing the latest GIMP a shot so I could check out the single window mode. Turned out to be a bad idea. The PPA install didn't work, so I tried it the hard way and had a major problem and now I don't know how to fix it or if it can be fixed short of a format and reinstall of Mint 8. Here's the response I left on the site while I was really frustrated and angry, but I thought I'd post here too because I really need help. I have no clue what to do to fix this issue.
MAJOR PROBLEM!

The PPA didn't work for me, so I tried to install the hard way and ran into what I absolutely HATE about Linux -- DEPENDENCY HELL.

The gegl configure program claimed that Glib was not installed, so I downloaded and installed the latest version of it. Now, I get this error message when I run gegl configure:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.16.1...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.23.1, but GLIB (2.22.3)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files

I tried to uninstall the version of Glib that actually was installed that the gegl configure program managed to miss the first time around, but that would require me to uninstall just about everything installed on my system, apparently.

I am very frustrated and angry right now, but that aside, I would really appreciate help to fix this mess.

Thanks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Trouble with GIMP 2.8 install

Post by RedWagon »

I usually don't like all caps, but the combination of all caps coupled with your avatar made me lol. On a more serious note, how did you manually install these programs? I would recommend uninstalling everything that you did manually, removing any extra repos you added and then reinstalling everything through the package manager. This should hopefully reset you back to where you started. As for your Gimp problem, did you try running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep gimp
This will (should) automatically install all the dependencies you need to compile Gimp from source. You'll need to enable the Ubuntu source repos which I recently covered here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p225947
Once you get your system back to normal I'd try running that and then compiling Gimp from source.

And finally, if you have any other problems are you using a 64 or 32 bit OS?
jlr1701

Re: Trouble with GIMP 2.8 install

Post by jlr1701 »

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE ALL CAPS? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ALL CAPS? LOL :D

I installed the programs through the usual configure/make/make install process after I tried the PPA and it didn't work. I ran into the DEPENDENCY HELL issue trying to get the programs installed. I've never understood why Linux programmers can't make things much easier on their users and include all dependencies in a nice install program. It's been that way in the Windows world for many years. Windows users don't ever have to go hunt down obscure programs that they have to install so they can then install the program they really want to use. But anyway, my problem now is that I don't know how to uninstall programs that were installed through the CLI process.

The current release version of GIMP is 2.6. I was trying to install GIMP 2.8 by following the instructions at the OMG! UBUNTU! website, at this link:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/gimp ... stall.html

It would be awesome if I could get GIMP 2.8 installed because it has features I really want.

Thanks.

Oh, and I'm running 32-bit Mint 8 on an older Acer TravelMate 8100 notebook system.

Return to “Software & Applications”