What happened to Skype?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buddhaflow

What happened to Skype?

Post by buddhaflow »

Previously, when I've installed Mint 7, Skype was installed by default- I think it was, anyway.

But I just had to wipe the system, and because I've had a few issues with 8, I just installed 7 again.

But this time - no Skype.

Worse, I can't "apt-get install skype". I am SURE that i could do that before!

What happened? Why did Skype leave the repository?

I tried installing through the Mint Software manager - no dice. It says installing, but nothing happens.

I had to download the .deb from skype.com. It installed OK, but it doesn't work. It only gives me one choice of Mic - PulseAudio. It doesn't work. Before I wiped the disc, it gave me four, one of which worked.

My absolute #1 reason for switching to Mint (and donating money to the project) is that Skype "just worked". I have gone through a half dozen distros, and never had a reliable Skype. I live overseas, so skype is beyond indispensable for me. Simply put, if it doesn't work, I can't use the OS. Previously, I switched back to Win32 for almost a year for this single reason, much as it pained me to do so.

So, what's the deal? Why isn't Skype in the repository any more? Why isn't it working?!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: What happened to Skype?

Post by richyrich »

Sorry, can't be of any more assistance.
Skype hasn't officially released a .deb specifically for 9.10, but in this tutorial I've found that the 8.10+ .deb file works perfectly on Karmic Koala. I've hadn't had to configure anything to get the mic, sounds or camera to work with my laptop (Dell Studio 1535).
http://friendlytechninja.vndv.com/2009/ ... mic-koala/

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/s ... ux/choose/

And of course Karmic is the same as Helena. Good luck, richy
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

buddhaflow wrote:Why isn't Skype in the repository any more?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1352648
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
casaduana

Post by casaduana »

According to the message when you try to install the Skype program, there are unresolved dependencies. In other words it doesn't work. My personal experience leads me to believe there are problems between Skype and Pulseaudio.

Good luck!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

casaduana wrote:My personal experience leads me to believe there are problems between Skype and Pulseaudio
FWIW, it works perfectly here on LM8 with PA.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pres

Post by pres »

The latest Skype from their website works for me as well (Linuxmint 8 x64).

Pres
themew

Post by themew »

pres wrote:The latest Skype from their website works for me as well (Linuxmint 8 x64).

Pres
I agree here as well... Skype x64 on Mint 8 x64 has been working flawlessly for me. No issues to report whatsoever.

Download it from their site as mentioned in previous posts > http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Return to “Software & Applications”