[Solved] Thumbnails don't show up on Xfce desktop?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintnoob

[Solved] Thumbnails don't show up on Xfce desktop?

Post by mintnoob »

I just installed XFCE from GNOME and noticed the thumbnails of photo and video files don't show up on the desktop. They just show generic icons. Is there a way to make the files show their thumbnails on the desktop like they do in folders?

Edit: "thumbnails" is the term I meant.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintnoob

Re: Thumbnails don't show up on Xfce desktop?

Post by mintnoob »

Even though I switched back to GNOME, I still was hoping for an answer to this just in case.
Last edited by mintnoob on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Messing with this some more, it looks like Video file thumbnails don't display in either the desktop or in folders.

Image files only show as generic icons on the desktop, but show as thumbnails in folders only.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Figured it all out.

Thumbnails don't show on the desktop in Xfce.

Image files show as thumbnails in folders (Thunar) by default.

You can make video files show as thumbnails in folders only after installing "FFmpegthumbnailer" from the synaptic.

Initially I was really bummed to find out thumbnails don't show up on the Xfce desktop and that was a real drawback for me because I deal a lot with photos and videos. However, I forgot that Windows doesn't show thumbnails on its desktop either, but that only the GNOME desktop does (not sure about KDE) which I've been using for the last couple of months (amazing how little goodies from a D.E. can spoil you so fast!), so with knowing all this, I'm back to giving Xfce another test-run.

Return to “Xfce”