Ubuntu Tweak 0.5 Released

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Ubuntu Tweak 0.5 Released

Post by remoulder »

A new and much improved version of ubuntu tweak has been released.

See http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2010/01/10 ... l#more-489 for details.

Please note this new version does NOT support older versions of mint/ubuntu - only current and future versions are supported.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Lantesh

Re: Ubuntu Tweak 5 Released

Post by Lantesh »

Nice. I'll have to install it today, and start playing with it.
rob2uk

Re: Ubuntu Tweak 5 Released

Post by rob2uk »

Just to clarify, this is not Ubuntu Tweak 5, it is Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.0
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Ubuntu Tweak 0.5 Released

Post by remoulder »

rob2uk wrote:Just to clarify, this is not Ubuntu Tweak 5, it is Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.0
Oops my bad, corrected.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Again, Package Cleaner does not unlock in Mint 8. :roll:
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

mzsade wrote:Again, Package Cleaner does not unlock in Mint 8. :roll:
It works just fine for me, but I did fix that issue with the old version, so I'd bet my modified config file was left intact. Here's how to fix it:

In terminal: sudo gedit /usr/share/ubuntu-tweak/common/systeminfo.py

Find the follow information in the file, and add the Helena references as shown below.

@classmethod
def get_supported_ubuntu(cls):
return ['hardy', 'intrepid', 'jaunty', 'karmic', 'elyssa', 'Elyssa', 'felicia', 'Felicia', 'gloria', 'Gloria', 'helena', 'Helena']

@classmethod
def is_karmic(cls):
return DistroInfo.codename in ['karmic', 'helena', 'Helena']
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

My "/usr/share/ubuntu-tweak" folder does not have a "/common/systeminfo.py" file
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

mzsade wrote:My "/usr/share/ubuntu-tweak" folder does not have a "/common/systeminfo.py" file
Hey I'm sorry about that. I just checked and I no longer do either after the upgrade. I guess that fix only worked on the old version. That being the case I have no idea why you are having the issue. I have done no modifications to the new version, and it's working just fine. As an alternative you can go back to the previous version and use the fix I posted. I at least can confirm for you that it will work with that version.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

For newcomers to this piece of software, could we have a quick summary of what it does, please? I would also be interested to know whether the Linux Mint developers have a view about it. Many thanks.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Brian49, you can get all the details on the developers website.
http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks, but I have already seen that piece, which appears to be just a list of changes to the software; there is no overall description of what its purpose is. I also notice that it isn't available via the package manager in Linux Mint, and I would be glad to know the reason for that.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Brain, there are lots of software not included in the repos for various reasons. You can add it to the package manager by adding ppa:tualatrix/ppa to your software sources.

Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks - I've got it now. It's good, especially the cleanup options - there was all sorts of obsolete stuff hanging around on my system that I didn't realise was still there.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

How do I upgrade from the old version as I've tried adding the PPA but I get the following error:

steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ubuntu-tweak
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 525, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 60, in run
self.add_ppa_signing_key(self.ppa_path)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 79, in add_ppa_signing_key
'\"signing_key_fingerprint\": \"(\w*)\"', lp_page)[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

steve@steve-desktop ~ $
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

gibbs1984 wrote:I've tried adding the PPA but I get the following error:
You can only use the ppa line if you're running helena. In gloria or earlier you'll need to add the full address and import the gpg key, see http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads

Edit: However you can't use the new version on earlier releases
Last edited by remoulder on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

mikeyb wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:I've tried adding the PPA but I get the following error:
You can only use the ppa line if you're running helena. In gloria or earlier you'll need to add the full address and import the gpg key, see http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads
I'm running Helena though.

It's alright, don't think I did it right the first time, it's installed now, thanks :)
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

no mods and worked straight away
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Snydar

Post by Snydar »

I am running Helena and added the PPA and key, but ubuntu-tweak is not listed in Synaptic. Any ideas?

Edit: The only way I could get it to work is by editing my sources.list and importing the key... adding ppa:tualatrix/ubuntu-tweak to software sources did not work...
deleted

Post by deleted »

Since this is the first exposure I have to Ubuntu Tweak, what is it and why do I need it?
I saw the feature list on the website, but what are the problems it's solving?
That is, someone asked me why Mint over plain Ubuntu and I say Mint Menu, Theme Polish, etc.
-Hinto
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Snydar wrote:adding ppa:tualatrix/ubuntu-tweak to software sources did not work...
You have to add it via the gui, you can't put ppa:... in your sources.list directly. If you did it this way not sure why it didn't work.
Snydar wrote:ubuntu-tweak is not listed in Synaptic. Any ideas?
Have you reloaded? If so post the relevant line from your sources.

Return to “Software & Applications”