Compaq CQ61-319WM Sound Fix

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluesman99

Compaq CQ61-319WM Sound Fix

Post by bluesman99 »

This is a machine purchased at Wal-Mart, and it runs Helena wonderfully.

Under Linux Mint 8 (Helena), all hardware on this machine worked out of the box EXCEPT Sound.

After reading The Ubuntu forum, I found this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... s+database

The basic notion is to alter /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf so that the sound driver is properly loaded.

Open a terminal, and copy/paste the following:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Tap enter and enter your password.

copy/paste the following lines to the end of alsa-base.conf, save and reboot.

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

You should have glorious sound from dead silence.
Hope this helps.

Blues
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
blobsquadsteam

Re: Compaq CQ61-319WM Sound Fix

Post by blobsquadsteam »

Thank you so very much for your help. I despise windows and am fairly new to Ubuntu Linux. But, I am an instant addict. I was starting to get marks on my head from earphones:0 I would much rather donate to the REAL customer care. You guys are awesome....
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Compaq CQ61-319WM Sound Fix

Post by remoulder »

bluesman99 wrote:options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
To anyone reading this, please note you should NOT do this as is unless you have the same model laptop. Refer to the link in the original post for more information relating to other models and makes.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Sound”