Mark critical stuff as non-uninstallable (or warn at least)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yoppt

Mark critical stuff as non-uninstallable (or warn at least)

Post by yoppt »

Hi Clem and everyone,

I've run across a 'nice' feature with Software Manager, allowing the user to uninstall the GUI completely (and yes, be left at the notorious command line). This is done without a single hint or notice given to the user of what would happen.

The trick works as follows:
1. open the Software Manager
2. mark cpp for removal (user thoughtflow: 'hey, I ain't a programmer - why should I need anything to do with a source code preprocessing on my machine?')
3. apply changes
4. see some strange error messages afterwards
5. reboot, be left at a bare command line and have fun :twisted:

The result doesn't look too friendly for mid-skilled users, not speaking about the novice ones. I really doubt entering the password once again would turn the user aware of this caveat.

Synaptic gives a long list of what will be also uninstalled when trying to uninstall cpp. This looks like a working solution.

What my suggestion would be is to highlight the software that is dangerous to uninstall somehow. It is done in the mintUpgrade for stuff that might cause unstability - why not re-use the same UI pattern in SW Manager?

Cheers and good luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mark critical stuff as non-uninstallable (or warn at least)

Post by Husse »

Ouch - I'll bring this to the team's attention
yoppt

Post by yoppt »

Thanks Husse, let me know if any help is needed with that
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Very good point, I'll look into that as well.

clem.

Return to “Software & Applications”