Trying to burn windows using brasero

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruthy

Trying to burn windows using brasero

Post by ruthy »

Just downloaded windows 7, and trying to burn it to a DVD (using brasero). But when i try to do this it comes up saying “should files be renamed to be fully windows compatible” (you'd have thought they would be in the first place).

When i click on yes brasero asks to wait until the estimation of size is completed, but it never gets past this and just caries on estimating for ever.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Trying to burn windows using brasero

Post by MaddogF16 »

You're trying to burn as a iso image correct?
gn2

Post by gn2 »

ruthy wrote:Just downloaded windows 7 ~
Where from?
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

That's what i was aiming for, but brasero didn't ask me. So i haven't had a chance to select it
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

When you open Brasero from the menu, you should get a screen to choose what type of job you'll be doing.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

I do that and click on burn image. But when i go and select the image and click on open it just opens up that windows file with all the little files rather than selecting the entire file.
timber

Post by timber »

After you place a disc in the CD, then tell it you want to burn an ISO, select the file with the right mouse button rather than the left ...
Select the option to "Write to Disc" ... that should do it.
I use XFburn instead of Brasero and I'm going off my memory, so I hope I'm correct.

Dave
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Hi Dave
Unfortunately it didn't work that way. I've even downloaded Xfburn, but again i don't know how to get it to open the file.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I do that and click on burn image. But when i go and select the image and click on open it just opens up that windows file with all the little files rather than selecting the entire file.
That sounds to me like you have a windows-based self-extracting archive file?! What extension does the file you are trying to load into Brasero end with? In fact, what exactly is the file name you are trying to open?

If it is a self-extracting archive, then you have to first find a way to extract all the files to a folder. Burn that folder to an iso file and use the iso file to burn a new cd/dvd.

More information (detail) required!

BTW, this does not sound totally 'legit' to me?! Sorry if I am wrong but if you are trying to create a "free" version of Windows, I don't think we should help. I think you should explain more!

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Have actually found an iso file in the the folder and have been trying to burn that (even tried on the slowest speed). But towards the end a message pops up saying that there was an unknown error while burning.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Ended up using gnomebaker. It seems to have burnt fine. Have tried to install it, but it dosent seem to do anything. I get writing on a black screen, but then it just goes to Mint GRUB and all i see there are the same Linux's that i usually see without the DVD. Strange.
And i scanned the DVD with Avast! So there is obviously something on there.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

What happened to everyone?
Did Rhodry the Gestapo agent scare you away?!
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

We need to know what the writing is even about,can't be general in descriptions and get much help. Sounds like the pre-windows boot up screen where you need to push any key to install off the dvd,but we have no idea where you downloaded this copy and if it's legit and therefore shouldn't facilitate getting it up and running. I haven't heard of downloading a copy anymore since the trial copy awhile back.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

MaddogF16 wrote:We need to know what the writing is even about,can't be general in descriptions and get much help. Sounds like the pre-windows boot up screen where you need to push any key to install off the dvd,but we have no idea where you downloaded this copy and if it's legit and therefore shouldn't facilitate getting it up and running. I haven't heard of downloading a copy anymore since the trial copy awhile back.
If you look through the thread you'll notice that the simple two word question I asked has remained unanswered thus far.
Draw your own conclusions.....
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

gn2 wrote:If you look through the thread you'll notice that the simple two word question I asked has remained unanswered thus far.
Draw your own conclusions.....
And if you look at the OP's profile, you'll see that the last thread they created before this one was about having Transmission write to a different drive...
timber

Post by timber »

ruthy wrote:What happened to everyone?
Ruthy,

If you are looking for answers, I doubt that anyone here will be very inclined to help if you insult them.
The question regarding where you downloaded the file from seems like a logical and fair one to me.
Perhaps a Windows 7 forum might be better suited to answer your Windows 7 questions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... ddbd21c425
In particular, you might want to note the part about "malicious code" before you try to install a downloaded copy.
But then again, it's your computer and data ... ;)

Dave
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

timber wrote:
ruthy wrote:What happened to everyone?
Ruthy,

If you are looking for answers, I doubt that anyone here will be very inclined to help if you insult them.
[....stuff snipped.....]
Dave
Yeah, no need for that - legitimate question from an honest person I thought?! Well, I have all the answer I need; that's why we have 'blacklists' I guess. Thread over for me.

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Software & Applications”