An MS ... Oops!! Yay, for Linux!!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

An MS ... Oops!! Yay, for Linux!!

Post by vrkalak »

I just thought I'd relay a funny story I heard on television a couple days ago. I searched the internets to verify the story, as true.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It seems that this past weekend there was a huge New Technology Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Any body who is anybody, in the technology world was there, with booths demonstrating their newest techno-stuffs.
Companies were showing the new Android and several of the new touch-screen, internet active cell-phones and hand-held devices.

Of course, Microsoft and Apple were there giving Demos of their new Operating Systems, as was Google.

Well, in one of the big auditoriums there was a presenter from MicroSoft demonstrating the new Windows-7 Operating System.

Apparently, the demonstrator was using an H-P laptop with Windows-7 on it, and he was using the Convention Centers Sound and Lighting System to project 'his' desktop onto the main screen for all to see.
At some point in the middle of his Demo of Windows-7, he clicked the wrong button on his controller, and the Windows-7 Demo switched off and 'his' true desktop environment showed on the screen.
To his embarrassment it took him a couple minutes to get the program running again, and he continued with his Demo.

What the spectators saw when the program abruptly stopped, was that while the presenter was showing a Demo of MS Windows-7, his laptop was actually running Ubuntu. And Windows-7 was in Virtual Box.

After, the Demo Presentation was over, he opened the 'floor' for a Question and Answer Session. The first 10 questions or so were about Ubuntu. :oops:

They failed to mention, if this presenter, 'still' worked for MS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: An MS ... Oops!! Yay, for Linux!!

Post by mzsade »

What the spectators saw when the program abruptly stopped, was that while the presenter was showing a Demo of MS Windows-7, his laptop was actually running Ubuntu. And Windows-7 was in Virtual Box.
:lol: That's a double score, one for Ubuntu and one for Virtual Box, great story vrkalak; i have to confess i took quite a bit of sadistic pleasure in it :twisted:, i am sure that poor presenter is done for, now that he will have to change his identity, get a new face, new papers, perhaps even leave the country..huh? :wink:
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Or ... he could go and work 'for' Ubuntu :lol:
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

vrkalak wrote:Or ... he could go and work 'for' Ubuntu :lol:
Maybe he already was working for Ubuntu! :wink:
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

waldo wrote:
vrkalak wrote:Or ... he could go and work 'for' Ubuntu :lol:
Maybe he already was working for Ubuntu! :wink:
A double agent! Sounds plausible to me. :mrgreen:
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Haha, awesome story mate :P
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Where is this? I've googled around for it but I can't find any trace of this story anywhere.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Linkage please?
BuzzKiller

Post by BuzzKiller »

Pretty sure I read a related article, from PCWorld I think. Steve Ballmer was the presenter as I recall. Don't have the link handy but remember seeing it in the tech links section of my home page. Didn't read too in depth and don't recall reading about the virtualbox or ubuntu thing. You should be able to STW for Steve Ballmer at CES. CES is the convention that happened over the weekend. CES is Consumer Electronics Show I think.

I vaguely remember the root cause being some kind of power fluctuation at the convention hall and not related to Win7.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I first heard about it on Fox News Network on cable TV as they had a broadcaster covering the Expo.
Then found a couple of links to this event, in websites/blog pages like TeckTalk and OS News.
But, I don't remember which ones, exactly.

I just found it all too humorous. :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”