Interesting information about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Interesting information about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by exploder »

I saw this today and thought I would post a link for those that are looking forward to the upcoming LTS release in April.

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/12/23/ubun ... get-there/

Looks like the base for Mint 9 might have less issues to try and work through. :D Between Debian Testing and Ubuntu's "paper cuts", 10.04 might just turn out to be pretty nice. I understand they have modified the policy on updates too so the support for 10.04 might be a lot better than with previous releases, we can hope anyway. I like the fact that Cannonicle is taking a more conservative approach in the development of the LTS. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Interesting information about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by slider »

Exploder
Merry Christmas my friend! :)
I like the fact that Cannonicle is taking a more conservative approach in the development of the LTS
I do too and lets all hope so! :mrgreen:
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Merry Christmas everyone!!

If we keep using Ubuntu as our base even more reason to emphasize on the LTS-release cycle and realising a kind of semi-rolling-release with updated packages and artwork. These are the options for LinuxMint I think: or going completely Debian or building our releases on the Ubuntu-LTS editions. A dream coming true...

Warm wishes in these cold days,
Midas
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Exploder
Merry Christmas my friend! :)
Merry Christmas slider! I hope you and every one here has a really nice holiday!
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Good article exploder, thanks for posting. If things go as Ubuntu states this will be a great improvement. :D
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

I think I have been lucky as I havent had any problems with any release of Ubuntu, but I have certainly heard that 9.10 seemed to be the most problematic. Shame really!
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04. Good install as usual though took about thirty minutes for the updates. No big deal.
I love the clean desktop. I have a life so I do need a cluttered desktop.
Everything seems to work but still cannot see Photo Bucket videos, only the Photo Bucket photos can I see. They do not support Linux anymore.
You Tube video and audio just fine.
I use Yahoo and GMail web based email so never any email issue for me.
Still cannot use Movie Player for commercial DVD movies. I get an error, No URI Handler implemented for dvd. I expected that.
I will download vlc.

Lex
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

I love VLC, just plays everything, no questions asked!
Dok

Post by Dok »

Thanks for posting that! Interesting, it looks like they are serious about making LTS really mean something. For me, 8.04 was a disaster and I went back to 7.10 until 8.10 came out. An LTS release needs to be released stable, not become stable months after release. 10.04 could become a great base for Mint 9.
Brad
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

I certainly hope this works out for Ubuntu and for Mint. As it is, I have not been able to move forward from Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 7...though in some ways, I'm alright with that. If everything works with this hardware, I will probably adopt and stay with the next LTS.

So, I'm looking forward to Lucid and Isabella, at least I think she will be called Isabella, even though I am happy with what I have now. I know the open source world is moving forward, and we have to keep up with it. *sigh*
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

The 'right' approach to me seems:

Waiting 2 months after release before installing the new edition. History learns that in the first 2 moths after release a lot of bugs are tracked down and fixed...so why installing right after releasedate? Hisory learns also that the springreleases (Mint/Ubuntu) are a bit more stable and a bit less experimental. After a year of distrohopping I like a system that 'just work'.
So, that is perhaps the route to go for me...I want to do a fresh install only once a year:

1. Installing the spring-editions
2. Waiting 2 months after releasedate before installing

Greetz, midas
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Dok wrote:For me, 8.04 was a disaster and I went back to 7.10 until 8.10 came out. An LTS release needs to be released stable, not become stable months after release.
8.04 was great for me, but I agree with you, it would be better if the LTS was released stable.
midas wrote:The 'right' approach to me seems:

Waiting 2 months after release before installing the new edition.
That's the approach I like to take with Ubuntu LTS, and it isn't a bad approach to take with almost any distro!
midas wrote:If we keep using Ubuntu as our base even more reason to emphasize on the LTS-release cycle and realising a kind of semi-rolling-release with updated packages and artwork. These are the options for LinuxMint I think: or going completely Debian or building our releases on the Ubuntu-LTS editions.
This is an interesting thought. For myself, I like the way things work out using Ubuntu LTS and/or Mint LTS, and I prefer to just stay away from the 6-month release cycle. The LTS versions have worked out so far to be comparable to Debian Stable for me, but as I mentioned above, I think it's better to wait at least a couple of months before installing an LTS version.
Matt3223
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt3223 »

midas wrote:The 'right' approach to me seems:

Waiting 2 months after release before installing the new edition. History learns that in the first 2 moths after release a lot of bugs are tracked down and fixed...so why installing right after releasedate? Hisory learns also that the springreleases (Mint/Ubuntu) are a bit more stable and a bit less experimental. After a year of distrohopping I like a system that 'just work'.
So, that is perhaps the route to go for me...I want to do a fresh install only once a year:

1. Installing the spring-editions
2. Waiting 2 months after releasedate before installing

Greetz, midas
I feel I have come to this realization as well. I too shall be sticking to the spring releases and look forward to the upcoming spring Mint!

Return to “Chat about Linux”