Mint x64 Edition compatibility with 32-bit software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Herbivore
Level 2
Level 2

Mint x64 Edition compatibility with 32-bit software

Post by Herbivore »

In a post last May, a submitter asked my question, ie., Which edition to go for?

An answer posted by Eddie G. Wilson on Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 pm, said, "Nowadays the 64 bit version of Mint is really no less stable then the 32 bit version. You just have to make sure that the apps you use are compiled for 64 bit machines. You can also run the 32 bit version of apps. if you have the correct libraries installed. Once you see the performance increase you'll be very happy."

I would appreciate an expansion of, "if you have the correct libraries installed." Does this mean that if the 64-bit edition is used, Synaptic and Update will install libraries incompatible with the 32-bit software on the system? Is this going to be a hassle? Performance boost is rather offset if time has to be spent to fix a library problem.

Context: Will be soon installing new 64-bit motherboard/processor (Gigabyte P43 GA-EP43T-UD3L with Intel Core 2 Duo E7400).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gravelbay

Re: Mint x64 Edition compatibility with 32-bit software

Post by gravelbay »

I've been using the 64-bit Helena since it came out. I've not had any problems with 32-bit apps. If Synaptic needed libs, it just got them for me. I'm totally happy!
deleted

Post by deleted »

He may be referring to the ia32-libs package. Some 32 bit applications will require it, but Synaptec/apt-get will sort it out.
That being said, if you get debs from a source other than the repository (ie, manually download a deb from SourceForge) then you'll want to get the 64 bit (running x64 Mint).
Packages do care what platform you are installing to. You can force them, but that's usually not a good practice.
-Hinto
Herbivore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Herbivore »

Thank you for the useful information.

So, considering that I occassionally obtain deb packages outside of the repos, I should probably install the 32-bit version (Mint Main Edition).

But, just what are the consequences of installing a non-repo 32-bit deb into X-64 Mint?

And, what if a deb line is needed to be added to /etc/apt/sources.list in order to obtain a software. Is this the same as get debs from a source other than the repository? Example: tor (although available from the repo, torproject instructs not to use it but to add a line to the sourses.list (http://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en -- “Do not use the packages in Ubuntu's universe. They are unmaintained and out of date.”)

On the other hand, probably not DeVeDe, which will be missed.
deleted

Post by deleted »

You have to read the information from the package owner.
I just downloaded and installed UbuntuTweaks for my Mint 8 x64. There was one package. It worked on x64 and I presume it
works on 32bit.
Just and FYI, when you install a deb from any source outside of the normal repositories, you really need to trust your source. You are executing the deb with super user (root) privileges.
-Hinto
Leif

Post by Leif »

Listen I had trouble using 32 bit bins and stuff just run this command first and you should be fine
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
It makes sure you have all the libraries you'll need

Return to “Beginner Questions”