ArchBang 2.00 RC1 & a mini-guide to set-up Arch Linux w/ OB

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

ArchBang 2.00 RC1 & a mini-guide to set-up Arch Linux w/ OB

Post by willxtreme »

Here's the mini-guide
Feel free to give comments on what could be improved :D

ArchBang 2.00 RC1 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: A mini-guide to get a Arch Linux w/ OpenBox fast

Post by exploder »

Pretty cool "How To", nice work! :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Awesome. I'm a big fan of Arch and a big fan of OB. What are you using for the system settings if you don't mind me asking?
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

assembled a collection of standalone apps inspired on #!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

willxtreme wrote:assembled a collection of standalone apps inspired on #!
Do you mind posting or PMing me some more details?
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

compared to LXDE that comes with these Components
PCManFM
The ultimate fast and robust file manager. It provides tabbed file browsing and desktop icons with low system resource usage.
LXPanel
Feature-rich yet user-friendly desktop panel providing most crucial functions you expect from a desktop panel. Configuration is done through a graphic user interface.
LXSession Lite
Standard-compliant X11 session manager with shutdown/reboot/suspend supports via HAL and gdm.
LXSession Edit
The standard session edit manager, with ability to turn on disabled applications in LXDE.
LXAppearance
LXAppearance is a new feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher able to change GTK+ themes, icon themes, and fonts used by applications.
LXLauncher
LXLauncher enables the desktop to have topic oriented desktops.
Openbox
Lightweight, standard-compliant, and highly-configurable window manager (adapted by LXDE. We suggest using this as default window manager.). This can be replaced by any other window manager like icewm, fluxbox, metacity, ...etc.
GPicView
A very simple, fast, and lightweight image viewer featuring immediate startup.
Leafpad
Lightweight and simple text editor adapted by LXDE. (We suggest using this as default text editor.).
LXDE Common
LXDE Common is the default settings configuration file for integrating the different components of LXDE. LXDE Common manages the system behavior and functions to integrate icons and artwork.
LXTerminal
Desktop-independent VTE-based terminal emulator for LXDE without any unnecessary dependency (All instances share the same process to reduce memory usage).
XArchiver
Lightweight, fast, and desktop-independent gtk+-based file archiver (adapted by LXDE. We suggest using this as as default archiver).
LXRandR
Monitor configuring tool. You can plug in another screen into LXDE or choose to use a big screen projector. Local screen and extenal screen can be used at the same time. LXRandR configures the screen solution automatically.
LXNM
Lightweight network connection manager. LXNM is a helper daemon for LXDE supporting wireless connections (Linux-only).
LXMusic
The minimalist XMMS2-based music player.
GtkNetCat
Graphic User Interface for netcat. Netcat provides system functions as a computer networking utility for reading from and writing to network connections on either TCP or UDP.
LXShortCut
An easy way to edit application shortcuts.
LXDE Common
The default settings configuration file for integrating the different components of LXDE. LXDE Common manages the system behavior and functions to integrate icons and artwork.
LXInput
A onfig tool to configure your keyboard and mouse under LXDE # lxde-settings-daemon, configure theme, keyboard and mouse for you. (works with lxinput config tool)
I use:
-Thunar instead of PCManFM (I fell in love with that thx to Mint XFCE)
-tint2 instead of lxpanel
-I directly open an openbox session my .xinitrc does "exec ck-launch-session openbox-session"
-lxappearance to support gtk themes :D
-gpicview
-leafpad
-Terminator instead of lxterminal (I also like yakuake & roxterm lol)
-File-roller instead of xarchiver
-nvidia-settings instead of lxrandr :twisted:
-Wicd instead of LXNM (wicd can remember passwords :D )
-Exaile instead of lxmusic (I fell in love with exaile thx to Mint XFCE)
-obmenu to create OB items instead of lxshortcut
-no need for lxinput even though my main language is french and I needed to set my keyboard in french lol. How I did it? I added in .xinitrc:
setxkbmap ca
-to change wallpapers nitrogen

Code: Select all

My autostart.sh file in ~/.config/openbox/
nitrogen --restore &
wicd-client &
tint2 &
thunar --daemon &
conky -q &
So I don't have a heavy desktop environment but simply a boosted Open Box lol.
Since I'm the only one using my laptop I've modified /etc/inittab to autologin myself & startx automatically
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

If you want a keyboard layout tool, download the source code to "mint-fluxbox-tools" from the helena-fluxbox repository. There are two particular scripts there, skl and skl1, put skl in your menu somewhere and skl1 in your autostart.sh.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

tyvm! :D it's always good to learn another way of doing things

Edit:

Code: Select all

#By Kendall Weaver <kendalltweaver@gmail.com>
#
# Simple graphical keyboard layout tool
nice so you made it :D
Kendall