OpenArtists OS (a new art-specific Ubuntu-based distro)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

OpenArtists OS (a new art-specific Ubuntu-based distro)

Post by vrkalak »

There is a new Ubuntu-based OS, made specifically with Artists (of all kinds) in mind.
Here is a little blurb about what it does and contains:

Get more information and downloads for Open Artist OS at: http://openartisthq.org/

Open Artist is an operating system created specifically for artists who use free and Open Source software and for GNU/Linux users. The latest version is based on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. It comes with a plethora of software pre-installed and scripts setup to auto-install some software that was too large to put on the ISO. The OpenArtist OS ISO size is 3.7GB and the minimum hard drive space needed to install the operating system is 12GB, just to give you an idea of how much software comes with this distribution. A lot of the software on this aren't available on the normal Ubuntu repositories. It comes with its own repositories as well as the Ubuntu repositories, and also has software and scripts you can use that are accessible through the Dropbox software (which is already setup for you at install) you just have to activate the script and it will download the software from the OpenArtist dropbox and repositories and install it for you. Also, some of this software runs through Wine (a windows emulator) and is not available from the Synaptic Package Manager

A large portion of its software is to allow the average user to easily customize the operating system through the GUI (graphical user interface) and to add easy hardware interface for hardware and peripherals you can use on the PC (including the Wiimote)

One portion of it is for 2-D art. It contains a few edited versions of GIMP, 2 versions of InkScape, HDR/DRI software, Icon Creation, Image Generation (including flame generators like Apophysis), and so much more.

Another portion of it is for 3-D art. It contains 4 different versions of Blender (2.49Beta, 2.45, 2.5 with an update script, and 2.42Alpha) along with lots of extra scripts for Blender (including scripts for extra primitives, like Gears) and also edited versions of 2.49b that allow you to do specific functions (such as 2d animation and video editing). It also contains other 3-D modeling applications such as Wings 3D or Povmodeler and has MakeHuman and MakeTarget. Other tools it has are external rendering compatible with Blender (the scripts are already in Blender), plant generators, texture generation tools (like Mapzone) and mapping tools, 3-D viewers

The next portion is Audio Production. This seems to be the largest section. It is everything from overall audio production software (like Linux Multi-media Studio) to virtual synthesizers, drum machines, and VST's. It has DJ audio software, audio players, streaming internet audio software, and so much more

The next is Video Production, which also includes video players (like VLC, Media Player) video streaming, and also the Blender applications for anything you would need for video production

The next (surprisingly) is Video Jockey (VJ). I don't know much about this particular area, but it contains things such as VeeJay.

For a new Art/Studio (Ubuntu-derivitive) Operating System, I recommend checking it out, if you're interested in these Art-specific areas. You don't have to install it to try it out. Just download and burn the ISO onto a spare blank DVD and run it as a live CD ... if you like it, you can 'click' on the installation script, included on the desktop.

:: The 3.7 Gb size of the LiveDVD is enough to discourage many people from trying this OS ::

:) Worth a 'look-see' . . . is my guess ??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Losgann

Re: OpenArtists OS (a new art-specific Ubuntu-based distro)

Post by Losgann »

There's another similar one which I just discovered thanks to the DistroWatch Weekly newsletter, called Puredyne. Comes in both CD and DVD sizes, and uses XFCE! :D

I loaded it into a virtual box last night, but I haven't had time to really look at it yet.
timber

Post by timber »

Hi Vrkalak,

Thanks for the information. Looks like a full selection of art tools.
Seems a little redundant having multiple versions of some of the software but if I used them, I would probably know that there are significant differences.
[EDIT]:( I see now, In the link you provided, they explained the "Top Down" approach of giving you all then you can pair it down rather than "Bottom Up" approach of letting you add what you want to a bare system.)[EDIT]

I imagine this is great news for those already familiar with the packages. Wish I were up on using blender, I never made it through the learning curve there.
I may still download this just to experiment and see what it's all about, may find some new tools I can learn and use.

Always great to know about new releases ... keep up the great work!
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

That sounds like an interesting distro vrkalak,
I'll download it and take a look.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

woah looks like it comes with alot of good stuff by defualt. Cool! O_o

Return to “Chat about Linux”