Some problems that i wish to resolve

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lamdacore
Level 1
Level 1

Some problems that i wish to resolve

Post by lamdacore »

hi,

i just started using linux mint and really love the distro. It is amazing in the sense that it is simple to use with the functionality of ubuntu (Ubuntu is good but never liked their orange colored theme).

Anyway, i love certain features that mimic that of linspire i.e. the software portal and the general theme. It is clear that dedicated people have put efforts into this distro and so congrats to them on a job well done.

however, i am facing some problems which i hope the minty community can help me resolve. They are as follows:

1) the Terminal does not open whether i try to open it from the Cassandra menu of from the right-click shortcut menu. it just shows that it is loading the terminal session but eventually nothing pops-up. So i cannot run the terminal and consequently cannot type any commands. guidance to resolve this problem would be highly appreciated.

2) i like the software portal and the *.mint files terminology. however, how do i exactly use these files for installation. At the software portal it says that a certain file is say 26Mb but i download only like 256 Kb. is this something like a torrent or what? Please give me a step-by-step guide on how to download the files and then install them.

3) do i need to update anything in order to get things working smoothly? Please provide a list and how to install them.

I know that these are a lot of questions but i really want to use Cassandra but these issues make it difficult to make it my final distro. if these problems are resolved than i would be happy to keep cassandra.

thanks

lamda
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I hope I'll be able to help you out a bit. I'm also new to Mint and loving it :)

1) open Synaptic Package Manager and check if you have gnome-terminal installed (I think that's the app that might be simply missing on your system). If it's not installed install it then.

2) What I do with .mint files is to download them to the desktop and double-click them once they are downloaded. Then I click on Install in mintInstall and wait until it's done. It'll download and install the necessary package(s).

3) There have been a few updates and some of them for the mintInstall app so you might want to get them. On my system updates come automaticaly (I thought it's so by default). You can use Update Manager in Administration.

For me mint run perfectly well out of the box so I am not sure if I gave exactly the answers you were after. Nonetheless I hope it's helpful :)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

you can also reinstall apps via synaptic. ie gnome-terminal.

Have you updated your system?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”