Another Dual Boot Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Another Dual Boot Question

Post by antiquexray »

Now that I've been successful making a dual boot box, is it possible to drag and drop files back and forth between the Mint and XP partitions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trianglman
Level 1
Level 1

RE:

Post by trianglman »

as long as you have the windows partition mounted as read-write, you can copy back and forth. This is the default if your windows partition is FAT32. If it's NTFS rw is available, but, afaik, still experimental. I don't know for sure if it is enabled by default, but you can edit your /etc/fstab for the partition and remount it.

Windows, however, can't recognize most (any?) Linux partition formats, so you can't read or write any linux files from windows.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

Hello. I have been very successful using a vfat partition to use a shared partition. However, I have successfully used an ntfs partition as rw in one distro, but not so well in another. Of course the problem with vfat is that you can't have an individual file > 4 gigs.

john

P.S. I have a fairly recent linux magazine addressing this very issue; when I have time I will find it and post some of the finer points of the article.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

speaker219 wrote:Meh.
Windows sucks but you can still use ext2/ext3 on it:
http://www.fs-driver.org/
That worked! Thanks!
I love this distro and its members.

Return to “Beginner Questions”