Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
aelfinn

USB thumb drive cannot be unmounted

Post by aelfinn »

After using a USB memory stick to create a USB startup disk, I can't unmount it. Dolphin says, "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab".

Trying the Device Notifier widget brings up this Plasma Workspace error message: "Could not unmount the device. One or more files on this device are open within an application."

Did the same thing in Helena Main, no probs there.
vinnievegas

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by vinnievegas »

distro hopper wrote:Seeing as I am waiting for the x64 version, to save myself a CD, I used USB Creator to put Mint 8 KDE RC on a USB stick and give the live version a try. It took a while to load, but when I ran the installer, once I selected the country I'm from and clicked the Next button, the installer crashed. Tried a couple of times.. I never did get it to install off the USB.
I used unetbootin to create my usb image, and it worked flawlessly.
after-8

Re: live usb

Post by after-8 »

vinnievegas wrote:
distro hopper wrote:Seeing as I am waiting for the x64 version, to save myself a CD, I used USB Creator to put Mint 8 KDE RC on a USB stick and give the live version a try. It took a while to load, but when I ran the installer, once I selected the country I'm from and clicked the Next button, the installer crashed. Tried a couple of times.. I never did get it to install off the USB.
I used unetbootin to create my usb image, and it worked flawlessly.
I tried unetbootin during the holidays and it made problems with fedora, moblin and ubuntu netbook remix - so I switched to fedora's liveusb-creator which worked flawlessly with any .iso
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

I was unable to download wifi drivers. The hardware driver popup box opened, but wouldn't activate. So I closed it.

Where do I find it to open back up again? I don't see how to in System Settings.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Try typing hardware in the Kickoff menu search box.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Figured it out: Menu > Apps > System > Hardware Drivers

I was looking in "System Settings." This time the drivers activated and Wifi now works. Not sure why it didn't activate first time after install.

Other than that minor hassle, the new Mint 8 KDE looks sharp. The default fonts look better than the previous version. I like the new Mint KDE logo a lot better than the last one with all the little gears wrapping around the bottom left corner. I know that's such a minor thing, but a lot of the time, it's the little things that win people over.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Weird, my fonts in Firefox just defaulted to that ugly tall narrow blurry font. I have to uncheck the "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" option, or it will default to that same blurry font no matter what fonts I choose in the preference box.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB thumb drive cannot be unmounted

Post by kmb42vt »

aelfinn wrote:After using a USB memory stick to create a USB startup disk, I can't unmount it. Dolphin says, "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab".

Trying the Device Notifier widget brings up this Plasma Workspace error message: "Could not unmount the device. One or more files on this device are open within an application."

Did the same thing in Helena Main, no probs there.
I noticed the same problem today when transferring some of my "stuff" over to Linux Mint 8 KDE. My faithful USB external hard drive (Fantom 500 GB) can be unmounted with no problems but my Patriot 8 GB thumb drive failed to unmount for the same reason or the KDE insists the drive is still busy when it's not.

I don't think this is isolated to Mint 8 KDE RC1 though as I saw the exact same thing on Mandriva 2010 and PCLinuxOS (KDE, Mandriva based). This may be more of a KDE problem itself rather than Linux Mint KDE.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

caris_mere wrote: One other question. I use pidgin, and in the main edition of Mint 8 there is the possibility of having Facebook chat within pidgin. How do I get that within KDE? Why isn't it there?
KDE has it's own set of default applications which doesn't include Pidgin . You can easily install it from the "Software Manager" or the "Synaptic" Package Manager though. Remember, the "Blue Mint" basically draws from the same repositories as the "Green Mint" so what you don't see you can probably get easily enough.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I was distro hopping about while waiting for Helena KDE to be "officially" released but decided to try out the RC. Very nice indeed!

I have 6 year old HP a645c (AMD 3200+ single core, 32 bit processor) desktop that I updated to 1.0 GB of memory and a Nvidia GeForce 6200 w/256 dedicated memory. Linux distros just seem to love this old beast. So I don't usually encounter sound problems and the like, installations are pretty much trouble free and the desktops, be they Gnome or KDE are rock stable for the most part. This makes it a fairly decent "old hardware" test machine so I usually don't have to worry about hardware caused problems when testing new distros.

Anyway...

A rather minor UI glitch during install in that when formatting already existing partitions (in my case: Swap=2.4GB | / = 12GB | Home = 64GB) the progress bar doesn't "progress" but remains white at 0% even though the format is actually progressing. Might be a tad confusing to newer users.

I think someone already mentioned that skipping the Localizations download freezes up the progress dialog box which makes it look like the whole install process froze. If you happen to glance down at the Taskbar you'll see that the install is actually continuing but it's hardly obvious. I seem to recall that this happened with Linus Mint 8 (Gnome) as well but I'm not 100% sure.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A larger glitch: I've been able to randomly (but frequently) crash the Plasma Desktop just by adding a (standard KDE) widget. Plasma recovers within a second or two, no problem but it crashes nonetheless. I haven't narrowed it down to a single action or widget yet but it seems to happen while I'm scrolling down the list of widgets or attempting to change the configuration of a widget that I've added to the desktop while the list of widgets was still present. In all cases the list of widgets (via the right-click context menu/Add Widgets) had to be present for the crash to happen. Once the widget(s) were added to the desktop and the list was closed everything was stable again.

The KDE crash reporter popped up the first time it happened (and never again for the subsequent crashes) but I was unable to get anything off of it for some reason. I hadn't installed the debugger that it needs to complete the process from Synaptic either unfortunately. There's always tomorrow though. :P

On a personal note, the last "hop" I made before installing Helena KDE CE was Mandriva 2010 which I consider to be one of the best KDE implementations out of all the major distros I've installed. Absolutely rock stable and easy to use which says a lot considering that certain KDE distros (Kubuntu anyone?) can come off as glitchy and confusing to navigate. I have to say though that despite the above minor glitches (it is still an RC after all), Helena KDE CE is definitely right there with it as one of the best KDE implementations I've seen yet. Nice job!
pug

Post by pug »

Turned on my PC this morning after suspending to RAM and all my settings were gone. Default wallpaper, default theme, default widgets, default shortcuts, everything... gone. Window manager was completely unresponsive, the mouse moved but nothing would click, keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work, CTRL+ALT+Backspace wouldn't restart X. I could use Ctrl+ALT+function key to switch to a bash shell, and restarted the system though.

When I rebooted everything came back as normal again. All my customisations were once more back, and even the programs I had open restarted again. I haven't been able to recreate since, and there is nothing in the logs to indicate what might have happened, but I figured I'd log it here in case anyone else had a similar experience.

[EDIT]Forgot to say there was a parallel session running by another user at the same time, and when I switched to that it too was frozen.
lil_rich

Post by lil_rich »

I also have a "wake after sleep" (resume after suspend to RAM) problem. After suspending my netbook (closing the lid), waking back up takes about 30s. Note that booting takes a similar amount of time (very impressive!). I see the screen turn on, but it remains blank, The cursor will blink on briefly, and the password box will finally appear. This doesn't seem to depend on how much is running.
I have not had this problem with Ubuntu Karmic, or Mint 7 XFCE.

To reproduce:
1) Have Mint KDE running.
2) Close lid
3) open lid, press power button to resume

Hardware: MSI Wind u123
Kernel: 2.6.31-16-generic

Let me know if you need more info. I don't have a clue where to start looking.

Other than this small problem, I'm extremely impressed with Mint 8 KDE! I'm pleasantly surprised to see only 26% RAM usage (out of 1Gb) with all this eye candy running. It's not much worse than my usual XFCE setup!
rc10b

Post by rc10b »

I've had a problem with wireless card detection when running in the Live DVD mode on a Toshiba A50 laptop and Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection on eth1.

After the desktop has finished loading the wireless card is not detected:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ sudo iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

mint@mint ~ $
So I checked lsmod:

mint@mint ~ $ lsmod|grep ipw2200
ipw2200               140292  0 
libipw                 43148  1 ipw2200
lib80211                6432  2 ipw2200,libipw
mint@mint ~ $
which looks fine but dmesg showed a problem:

mint@mint ~ $ dmesg|grep ipw2200           
[    8.158525] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
[    8.158528] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[    8.158879] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
[    8.158939] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
[    8.158980] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: firmware: requesting ipw2200-bss.fw
[    8.177547] ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
[    8.177552] ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
[    8.177556] ipw2200: failed to register network device
[    8.177621] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A disabled
[    8.177636] ipw2200: probe of 0000:01:05.0 failed with error -5
mint@mint ~ $
After some further investigation I tried this:

mint@mint ~ $ sudo modprobe -r ipw2200
mint@mint ~ $ sudo modprobe ipw2200
mint@mint ~ $
and then had these results:

mint@mint ~ $ lsmod|grep ipw2200
ipw2200               140292  0
libipw                 43148  1 ipw2200
lib80211                6432  2 ipw2200,libipw
mint@mint ~ $ sudo iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0
          Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

mint@mint ~ $ dmesg|grep ipw2200
[    8.158525] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
[    8.158528] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[    8.158879] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
[    8.158939] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
[    8.158980] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: firmware: requesting ipw2200-bss.fw
[    8.177547] ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
[    8.177552] ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
[    8.177556] ipw2200: failed to register network device
[    8.177621] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A disabled
[    8.177636] ipw2200: probe of 0000:01:05.0 failed with error -5
[  638.808980] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
[  638.808984] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[  638.809074] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
[  638.809152] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
[  638.809200] ipw2200 0000:01:05.0: firmware: requesting ipw2200-bss.fw
[  639.131799] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZM (11 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)
mint@mint ~ $
I was then able to set up my wireless network connection. This sequence of events is totally repeatable.
However, I did not have this problem with an install to my hard drive.

For someone without any Linux experience who is just trying the LiveDVD to see what Mint 8 is all about, this issue could be very damaging to Mint's reputation.
mintuser777

Post by mintuser777 »

Hi, First off thanks for all the work you guys do, and thanks for the KDE version.

I am new to Linux, so dont know if this is a valid problem. If i try to drop an icon from the Kickoff starter to the Desktop widget, it doest work. I installed RC1 on Sun Virtualbox, and not on my laptop itself. Atleast with Mint 7 KDE (which i am currently using), this drag and drop of icon works.
Thanks and Regards.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

8 kde rc1 live dvd wont boot on hp pavilion ze4300

Post by arjay »

Live dvd won't boot on my hp pavilion ze4300 laptop. It gets through the "Auto boot in 9 seconds" screen then says "Loading /casper" etc. Couple of lines of dots then it announces "Ready". Nothing at all happens after that - no indication that the dvd or hard disk are moving. Complete freeze.

Pretty sure it is not the dvd because I have just installed it on a desktop without any probs.

I notice that with mint Helena Gnome, after the Auto load screen it comes up with the mint menu THEN the loading/casper AFTERWARDS. With the kde dvd, I never get to see the mint menu??

Any one help please?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

mintuser777 wrote:Hi, First off thanks for all the work you guys do, and thanks for the KDE version.

I am new to Linux, so dont know if this is a valid problem. If i try to drop an icon from the Kickoff starter to the Desktop widget, it doest work. I installed RC1 on Sun Virtualbox, and not on my laptop itself. Atleast with Mint 7 KDE (which i am currently using), this drag and drop of icon works.
Thanks and Regards.
Hmm, I can drag and drop from the kick-off menu to the desktop okay (drag n' dropping an icon from the kick-off menu offers me a small menu with Copy, Link, or Cancel as my options). The way I prefer to add a menu icon to the desktop or panel is first to right click on the panel or desktop and making sure widgets are "unlocked". Having them locked prevents you from adding widgets or menu items to the desktop or panel via the right-click context menus. Then I can just pick the menu item I wish to add to the desktop or panel, right-click on the icon and select "Add to desktop" or "Add to panel".

My install is a native one rather than virtual so I can't say for sure if it's the virtual machine environment causing the drag n' drop problem or not but it should work for you the other way I mentioned.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I tried this and the live CD was unresponsive and halted me quite a bit in testing this properly. I also had an unusual error on my monitor in the middle saying "out of reach".

Mind you, it's quite an old PC so I'm not that surprised by what has happened. Although, the Main Mint works much better for me at the moment. Just thought I would input these details for any beneficial use. :)

Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R)
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI UniChrome 20060710 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

After clicking the cashew and changing the settings to make each virtual desktop different, I tried to change desktop one and two only to find they had the same wallpaper and settings. It took some experimenting, but, I figured a cure. Drop down to one desktop and at least change one setting to "Apply" then, add another desktop, change that and "Apply" etc. until I have all four. This fixed it, but, I never had this problem in Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE CE. Don't know if this is KDE related or Linux Mint. Everything else, sound and menus are up to your usual perfection, thanks guys.
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

rc10b wrote:I've had a problem with wireless card detection when running in the Live DVD mode on a Toshiba A50 laptop and Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection on eth1.

I was then able to set up my wireless network connection. This sequence of events is totally repeatable.
However, I did not have this problem with an install to my hard drive.

For someone without any Linux experience who is just trying the LiveDVD to see what Mint 8 is all about, this issue could be very damaging to Mint's reputation.
So you're saying that this problem didn't exist when installed to HDD? That's good to hear. I never took the time to really try to solve this, just found it odd because Kubuntu 9.10 was picking up my wifi card OOTB and I never had any problem like this before on this laptop.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

bobcollard wrote:After clicking the cashew and changing the settings to make each virtual desktop different, I tried to change desktop one and two only to find they had the same wallpaper and settings. It took some experimenting, but, I figured a cure. Drop down to one desktop and at least change one setting to "Apply" then, add another desktop, change that and "Apply" etc. until I have all four. This fixed it, but, I never had this problem in Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE CE. Don't know if this is KDE related or Linux Mint. Everything else, sound and menus are up to your usual perfection, thanks guys.

Exactly the same problem - same wallpapers on all desktops even after selecting separate activities and different papers etc. Thanks for the tip

Return to “Releases & Announcements”