KDE appears to be much more energy efficient than Gnome

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newfie

KDE appears to be much more energy efficient than Gnome

Post by newfie »

I have been using Gnome for about 2 years. I sometimes dabbed with KDE 3, but only on Desktops.

I used to get angry at how horribly fast my laptop would run out of battery power. I'd have to scramble to find the cord every 45 minutes (the laptop has always been this bad) even when just doing something as simple as running Firefox or chatting on Skype. I had to take my damn cord everywhere I went! My cord was plugged into the laptop 80% of the time. Then we got my mother a new MacBook for christmas... she runs for hours at a time without even thinking about recharging... it can last a full day if you aren't heavily using it, unlike my barely-an-hour laptop that is otherwise powerful.

So I decided to switch to KDE for some reasons. And I was pleasantly surprised that my laptop can run a *lot* longer unplugged. I've been sitting here for about 1 hour and 10 minutes now, and I still have 31% battery life left; and that's WITH desktop effects enabled, Firefox, Skype, Pidgin, OpenOffice running all at once. I don't use my cord nearly as often. It's faster too.

Is it just me or is KDE better at power saving? Is KDE more advanced than Gnome? Share your thoughts.

Note: I am on Linux Mint 8 using the kubuntu-desktop package.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aevum

Re: KDE appears to be much more energy efficient than Gnome

Post by Aevum »

To be honest, as I tried them both, I didn't find any major difference in power saving or anything related, I stick to gnome as I really don't like the KDE look anymore.
DrHu

Re: KDE appears to be much more energy efficient than Gnome

Post by DrHu »

newfie wrote:Is it just me or is KDE better at power saving? Is KDE more advanced than Gnome? Share your thoughts.
That's just plain funny!!!

Although it is possible, that running applications could be more efficient and possibly use less processing power and therefore less system resources (battery power) while operating
--less likely while sitting and idle..

I can't see a MAC being more energy efficient, maybe it has a bigger batter pack, or it runs everything at 1/2 power; maybe because every time I try a MAC in their stores, they all seem so slow
--for desktop use

Return to “Chat about Linux”