Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Craig

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by Craig »

Husse wrote:manny - check the md5sum
Everybody - please check the md5sum before posting here
MD5: 011e30de612adeccaa555da16c4ff0c6
csher987

Post by csher987 »

I've installed Helena KDE RC1 on a separate partition, preserving my home directory on another partition. I had no problem with sound - after I increased the speaker volume which started up with volume at the minimum.

I found that after installing new programs, they (and any plugins also installed) didn't appear in the menu or their respective programs (for plugins), however they all appeared after a reboot. This applies to programs installed with the mint installer as well as Synaptic. I hope this helps.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Confirmed - Tucan Manager v 0.39 alpha - buggy

Upload service is not implemented yet

The software opens and i added easy-share and saved - close and restarted the program.
I tried to download one file storage on easy-share - inserted the link and yes one second
after starting the download the software closes/disappears.

Amarok - buggy
Audio CDs - Open with amarok - nothing happens
Opening amarok KWallet pops up and it requires a passaword - cancelled
I think there is also something related to Last.fm - made my option to pure text
settings -disabled Last.fm
Amarok does not plays audio CDs only mp3 files

KsCD plays Audio Cds - wait cddb get tracks names and press the play button.

Dolphin

I can unmount all my partitions on the hard drive and ocult and restore them anytime
At left - right click on a empty space - add all entrances If one was oculted or all.
Valid also for pen drives.

I coud not believe, lol. The alien Gnome MPlayer works like a charm. Plays Audio CDs
(all tracks - tried 2) plays mp3 files and movies (DVDs) locked and unlocked

The next step is to check K3b - uninstall Tucan Manager and perhaps Amarok

I am changing my mind for my new laptop. I will resize the windows 7 partition and install
the final version of this Mint kde 8 - dual boot - i do not intend to delete this RC1 from my PC.

Cheers
Roberto :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

The problem described here hits the KDE edition as well (Resume normal boot in Recovery mode not working as it should)
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

Now I have installed Mint 8 KDE RC1 on my self-made desktop. I used a bootable USB stick as installation media.
Some things I found directly:

1 During installation I think the partitioner was remarkable slow. (or is it due to that I used an USB-stick?)
I felt the whole installation process was a lot slower than it was for the previous Gnome-installation.

2 I have Mint 8 Gnome at sda1, so I installed Mint 8 KDE at sdb1. The system automatic put the starter at sdb, so I wasn't able to restart the system without manually changing grub-parameters in Mint 8 Gnome at sda1. MBR should by default be put in sda, shouldn't it?

3 I was notified there was a propritary driver for my ATI Radeon 3650 HD graphic card. When I clicked on the "Activate" button to install the driver nothing happend. No response at all and no propritary driver installed at all... :(
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please note that everything based on any Ubuntu 9.10 is hit by a bug it networking that mostly affects Dlink routers (but not only)
You may be able to use Firefox but not much more - workaround here
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

tux-sven wrote:Now I have installed Mint 8 KDE RC1 on my self-made desktop. I used a bootable USB stick as installation media.
Some things I found directly:

1 During installation I think the partitioner was remarkable slow. (or is it due to that I used an USB-stick?)
I felt the whole installation process was a lot slower than it was for the previous Gnome-installation.

2 I have Mint 8 Gnome at sda1, so I installed Mint 8 KDE at sdb1. The system automatic put the starter at sdb, so I wasn't able to restart the system without manually changing grub-parameters in Mint 8 Gnome at sda1. MBR should by default be put in sda, shouldn't it?

3 I was notified there was a propritary driver for my ATI Radeon 3650 HD graphic card. When I clicked on the "Activate" button to install the driver nothing happend. No response at all and no propritary driver installed at all... :(
As a safety precaution, when installing any distro, always click the advanced button on the last page of install to verify where grub will be installed. Since you had mint 8 gnome installed at sda1, all you would have to do is boot into it and open a terminal and run 'sudo update-grub2' then reboot and grub would list both distros. When running two distros that use grub2 by default, that is all you should ever have to do. You should never have to manually change any config. If you prefer having the blue grub screen that kde has instead of the green one that gnome has, then once you've performed the instructions above, then while you are booted into mint 8 kde, open a terminal and run 'grub-install /dev/sda' then run 'sudo update-grub2' and you should have it.

As far as installing any proprietary graphics drivers, you should always do that after you've completely updated your system with mint update and reboot. The short of it... Always refresh synaptic, or whatever package manager you use before installing graphics driver. It's a problem upstream.
Last edited by vinnievegas on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Always refresh synaptic, or whatever package manager you use before installing graphics driver. It's a problem upstream.
Yes - but it is a lesser problem than in Helena main
dequire

Post by dequire »

caris_mere wrote:I know how to get pidgin. I already had it installed when I wrote. What I would like is the Facebook chat that is in the main edition. It is not there when I install in KDE.
As Pidgin is a GTK application, and Kopete is the IM chat client for KDE, it's not surprising that it is not there. It's probably a plug-in that is included in the main edition, and therefore you should be able to find it and install it.
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

Husse wrote:
Always refresh synaptic, or whatever package manager you use before installing graphics driver. It's a problem upstream.
Yes - but it is a lesser problem than in Helena main
I'm really unsure myself... Ive just always done it this way since I've been using linux, and In all the release notes, it always points to the ubuntu website to see issues upstream and it says that.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK but there was some new bug introduced in Karmic which is solved here but not in main unless I have misunderstood completely
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

Now I have done more tests with the propritaray ATI driver. As I could never load it the suggested way I tried to install the fglrx packets using synaptic. I was a little bit suprised - because I got the same kwin krashes as i got when I tested the propritary driver in Open Suse 11.2 KDE! :?
It behaved exactly the same way!! :o That was one of the major reasons I skipped Open Suse - I could never, never get it to work with my ATI card. ( I have only tried Suse with KDE) The card is an ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP

My primary installation, Mint 8 Main Edition works however very nice, in the same box with the propritary driver. :D
I think it must be something wrong with the kwin-system?
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

vinnievegas wrote:
As a safety precaution, when installing any distro, always click the advanced button on the last page of install to verify where grub will be installed. Since you had mint 8 gnome installed at sda1, all you would have to do is boot into it and open a terminal and run 'sudo update-grub2' then reboot and grub would list both distros. When running two distros that use grub2 by default, that is all you should ever have to do. You should never have to manually change any config. If you prefer having the blue grub screen that kde has instead of the green one that gnome has, then once you've performed the instructions above, then while you are booted into mint 8 kde, open a terminal and run 'grub-install /dev/sda' then run 'sudo update-grub2' and you should have it.
Thanks, it would really have been much easier, but my hard way also worked.. :D
warriorpoet

Graphical Weirdness

Post by warriorpoet »

Mint 8 KDE CE
Dell XPS Studio 16
Core 2 Duo p8600
Centrino2
ATi HD 3670 512mb

1. compositing will be inactive roughly 50% of the time upon reboot
2. video card fan runs constantly, unlike main edition, where the machine is passive ~75% of the time
3. the "minimize/ maximize" 3 second delay ATi fglrx bug- no backfill xorg-server (ATi workaround for Karmic) does not appear to update properly in this edition
4. "flashing" wait icon rather than bouncing (unable to find this option in settings)
5. visual corruption on flash "buttons"

help?
donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donnshaffer »

Still not getting the kernel to recognise my Dual Core. I had also posted to the 'Just Tried Mint KDE CE...' thread in the KDE CE forum where condowax said that pae was enabled on his kernel.

On that thread, exploder said 'The 32 bit KDE CE has a pae enabled kernel by default. The latest kernel was used so there would be fewer graphics card issues. The original kernel used in the Kubuntu base had issues, some people had a black screen at boot and Intel graphics were very problematic. Boo wanted the best hardware support possible with the current base.'

I do see the version number of the kernel for Helena Main is a slightly different than with KDE. Exploder, are you saying my problem might go away with the final release?

By the way, I have reinstalled, downloaded again from another mirror, installed again, checking md5sums every time, with the same results. Also, in kinfocenter, both processors are listed. I just can't all of my memory recognised. Frustrating because the Helena Main kernel worked for me.
condowax

Post by condowax »

why isn't this RC release announced in distrowatch?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

why isn't this RC release announced in distrowatch?
It is but it is at the side of the page, they will put the final release announcement where you would expect it to be.
rickbee

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic, a few concerns

Post by rickbee »

Hello

In anticipation of Mint 8 KDE, spent last two weeks installing and trialling some comparative KDE based distros by the major players. All have been installed on my old clunker of a test desktop, P4 3GHZ, 2GB, NVIDIA 6600GT AGP. Its still quite a snappy box for all the usual tasks and quite usable. Tried Fedora(hated that) Mandriva(looked great but problems with some native apps out of the box, gave up trying to fix it)) and Suse(best of the three, looked the best and no real issues)

Mint 8 KDE install went without problems, and I have to say it looks terrific, now after three days running a few problems. first issue is 45 second delay in loading grub2 screen. I had same issue with this when I had Mint 8 Gnome installed, and have written of it before. It may be specific to this box as I have two hd, sda is pata with a windows xp partition, sdb is sata with mint installed, grub on sda. Once grub is loaded works normally, just have that long wait. What is interesting however is neither Fedora, Mandriva or Suse had the same issue. Its not a serious problem, but may phase the less patient amongst us?

Login screen is not right I'm afraid, blurred and fuzzy, not in keeping with the overall positive impression when booted There are also better desktop backgrounds around as well, sorry to moan, but first impressions count. I have nothing on the desktop(I like to run in folder view) I assume this is deliberate? I'm running at 1920 x 1080 and the desktop looks fantastic with the right background (makes Gnome at the same res look pretty ordinary)

Main problem I have found so far is 'memory leaks' and I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything. I'm not sure what the culprit is yet. Initially, suspected one of the new Superkaramba tools I left running on the desktop, Oxygen System Monitor, it uses 8% cpu cycles by itself lol, left running overnight, dbus daemon was using 1.2 GB of mem and the system was barely useable. On boot, mem useage for this install is around 250 mb, checked again last night with superkaramba off started ot at 267mb, and this morning ram usage was at 440mb, again, from dbus daemon, I'll carry on looking into this problem. Anyone else noticed this?

Subjectively, Mint 8 KDE feels a wee bit sluggish on this hardware, compared to the other majors I've tested recently, it feels the slowest by a a small margin,I've tried with and without compositing, without is quicker of course, but not very nice, jerky and not very refined. I've settled for a compromise and selectively turned off a few desktop effects, and now its running very nicely. I think that anyone with a graphics card older than NV 6000 series id going to struggle with KDE 4 and maybe thats no surprise to anyone. With all effects turned on this box, Dolphin was irritatingly slow, appearing to hang at times. Installed Chrome and have had some problems, it appears not to like KDE, takes ages to load and then crashes. may have solved the issue by not using 'system title and borders', seems to be a lot more stable that way?

Otherwise its all very good, thanks devs for your work, and thanks for reading my ramblings, bit concerned about the mem leaks, but otherwise, I love the looks and Gnome on my main box is looking vulnerable to getting replaced......

Rgds

Rick
Steely

Post by Steely »

Thread Subject was changed to Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic, a few concerns . Please do not change it.
nycbmw

Post by nycbmw »

i thought that by this version you would solve the begining problems like black screen and halt before even loading something .

Just wasted one dvd .

Return to “Releases & Announcements”