Laptop resarts when lid is closed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Xlayer2006

Laptop resarts when lid is closed

Post by Xlayer2006 »

I'm running an HP Pavilion zv5000, (two?)Pentium4 3.00GHz, 512 ram and i believe an ati graphics processor with Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition. When I close the laptop lid or press the lid button one/several times, mint shuts down real quick and goes to a text based login for half a second and then the computer restarts. Sometimes when it restarts this way it seems to start without turning the screen on requiring a manual turn off and restart from the power button. The reason I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least not 100% anyway) is because I can push the lid button from startup to my hearts content and it won't have that effect until mint is fully loaded on the desktop. I also don't remember having that issue with windows (it would shut the laptop down for no apparent reason! :roll: )

I was just wondering if anyone might know whats going on and whether it's software or hardware related. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mechageo

Re: Laptop resarts when lid is closed

Post by Mechageo »

Hello,

This happens to me on my Thinkpad X40. It happens whenever the Reed Switch is activated.
I've seen this happen on Windows XP as well. There doesn't seem to be a way for the OS to realise that the Reed Switch has lost contact once it's made contact. This doesn't happen on my Dell Inspiron 1701, which behaves normally - turning off the screen when closed and restoring it when opened.

Edit - I'm on Linux Mint 8 Main Edition too.

Return to “Hardware Support”