sometimes sound works, sometimes not

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bfeggans

sometimes sound works, sometimes not

Post by bfeggans »

i just installed mint 8, and the sound is iffy. sometimes when i boot up, the sound is working. sometimes when i boot up, it is not. i was wondering what could be the cause of this. i am running mint 8 on a toshiba satellite m105 s3004. please help. i can supply any additional info. thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: sometimes sound works, sometimes not

Post by remoulder »

There are some bugs in the sound system inherited upstream in ubuntu karmic. If you install the linux-backports-modules-karmic and linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic and update your kernel to the latest 2.6.31-18, some of these issues appear to have been fixed. You might also have to install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.31-18-generic after you have rebooted into the new kernel.

To install the backpost modules, simply enter apt install <name as above>/b] in a terminal. To update your kernel, in mintupdate go to Edit | Preferences and put a tick against level 5 under the visible column. Exit preferences then do a Refresh, you should find the updates unticked. Select all the level 5 updates and Install.

Do this at your own risk.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bfeggans

Post by bfeggans »

thanks for the help remoulder, however, when i try using terminal to install the listed files, im getting a no such file could be found message. should i have to download these?
bfeggans

Post by bfeggans »

i ran the command, alsamixer, in terminal, and it is saying my master volume is set to zero. i dont know how to change this, but on my desktop, my volume control is at 100% and 0.00 db. i dont know if that helps, but just thought i would add it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

bfeggans wrote:alsamixer, in terminal, and it is saying my master volume is set to zero. i dont know how to change this
use arrow keys to move left/right and increase/decrease volumes, tab to switch between all/capture/output, "m" to mute/un-mute, "esc" to save and exit.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”