New Installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pumalite
Level 1
Level 1

New Installation

Post by Pumalite »

Installing in Core 2 Duo, Intel Board, chipset 975, 2 320GB SATA II in Raid 0 with Suse 10.2, 500GB SATA II divided in half. In first half: PCLinuxOS; 2nd half for LinuxMint. I want LinuxMint as my main distro, but I want to know if everything will be automatic or if I will have to edit fstab, menu.lst, etc?? ( Newbie; left Windblows 4 months ago. Never looked back. ) Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The installer used by Mint and Ubuntu makes an excellent job and preserves your grub settings, the new menu.lst contains the settings needed to boot the rest :) (Unlike some other installers)
No need to edit fstab, unless you want to get rid of the ugly UUID
I strongly advice against RAID0, the risk for complete data loss is seriously increased (more than doubled)
Pumalite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pumalite »

Followed you advice. Set all my hard drives to non-raid, and installed. I'm now writing to you from my new, sparkling, excellent LinuxMint. I have omly two questions: is there a firewall here? and I used to 'fish' from my other computer in the LAN through Konqueror, but now I can't, even though I enabled the Network setting to 'allow other to see and command your Desktop'. What am I missing? Thanks a lot.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Firewall - no, not needed in Linux unless you run some server. With the newer kernels iptables is enabled and all ports closed (but not stealth)
used to 'fish'
Sorry, but I don't understand that part.....
Pumalite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pumalite »

How do I open port 22 with the iptables?. Could you give me a command line input? Thank you.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is crossposting (kind of)
You have got your answer elsewhere
Pumalite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pumalite »

Sorry for the double posting Husee.Thought my place was with the newbies.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:
used to 'fish'
Sorry, but I don't understand that part.....
fish:// protocol, e.g. in Konqueror ... fish://yourusername@remotehost => that will open the remote location via a SSH connection and you can drag & drop files between hosts.

GNOME has a similar feature with its "Connect to Server" program.
Pumalite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pumalite »

Good tip.
Husse

Post by Husse »

thx scorp - google for fish and see what you get :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”