Slow download from mintinstall...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Slow download from mintinstall...

Post by mcrofutt »

Hi all,

I've been downloading at less than 1K for like 8hours trying to download Western Quake. I've a 1.5 DSL connection and this is like dial-up speed. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?
Mark

/// posting has been edited by scorp123
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Please mind your style and your language! :evil:

Your posting has been moderated.
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcrofutt »

scorp123 wrote: Please mind your language
yes sir...
I wasn't aware that my language was offensive. I can't recall using ANY profanity in my post. If I had I most humbly apologize!!! Embarassed
Mark
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mcrofutt wrote: I wasn't aware that my language was offensive.
Quote: "sllllooooooooooooow" <== we're no analphabets here. Writing the word correctly e.g. "slow" is absolutely enough. There is no point in writing "slllllooooooooooooooow" as if it was our fault that your ISP sucks.

Chances are we can't do anything about it anyway. Depending on which continent you are and in which country you are there could be hundreds of factors why the download might be slow for you. It sure wasn't for me, but then again I'm sitting on a different continent and in a different country, and in a different IP sub-range.

"My Internet is slow, download don't work" <== seriously, how do you expect anyone to troubleshoot this? :lol:

Maybe there were too many users downloading the ISO's again and again (they're getting quite popular lately), maybe George W. Bush was transmitting his invasion plans for Iran via e-mail and that consumed all the bandwidth ... Or he found some self-recorded p0rn vids of Bill Clinton and Monica on a forgotten harddrive somewhere in the White House and he decided to have some fun and he uploaded that stuff to YouTube ..... Or maybe the lady cleaning your ISP's server rooms stumbled over a cable and now all the routers of your ISP were busy trying to find new routes through the networks ... flooding a network with routing messages can totally kill the bandwidth for the users who have to pass through those routers. And and and and and ....

The only advice I can give to you is: Please learn to be patient. And try again sometime later :wink:

Sometimes web pages become slow for no apparent reason on your side, but there could be a dozen or more reasons on the other end of the network. Without real infos (traceroutes, pings, nslookups, load balance tests, error messages, routing infos ...) such stuff is pretty hard to troubleshoot ... Most of the time the best solution is to lean back and let the problem solve itself .... :wink:
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcrofutt »

Apparently the e-mails have been delivered and the videos uploaded. Things were much better this morning. I didn't know this would turn into a political thing. I'll reconsider sending MY USA dollars to mint for support as well.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mcrofutt wrote: I didn't know this would turn into a political thing.
I was just making fun :wink: ... Don't take this too personal please. As I said ... there can be hundreds of reasons why some destinations all of a sudden can't be reached from one's location.

The other day I couldn't reach YouTube, so me and one of my former coworkers (he's American) with whom I'm still in touch with started making jokes about such stuff .... That guy is a former Marine, very "patriotic" as you Americans call it ... and he can't stand Clinton. So whenever there's a chance that dude will start making Clinton jokes. So when YouTube wasn't reachable he kind of "got on a roll" (I hope that's the right expression?) and started making jokes like "Yeah, George W. must have found one of Clinton's 'forgotten vids' and is probably uploading it right now ..... " .... As I said. Two fools fooling around and talking about old times. :wink:
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcrofutt »

<I was just making fun Wink ... Don't take this too personal please.> <Two fools fooling around and talking about old times.>

As a singer/songwriter named Merle Haggard once said,"When you're runnin' down my country,hoss, you're walkin' on the,,,," I'd bet you know the rest. I'm not one of your fools. I'm also no fool. When you start talking $$$ people pay a little closer attention, don't they? You've lost my money and my support at any other word of mouth or written word.

And they let you MODERATE here?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I won't comment on the little friction thing...

mintInstall uses /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/sources.list so you can edit that file and replace repositories with local ones to speed things up. Another way to make mintInstall faster is to remove deb-src entries in your own /etc/apt/sources.list... the reason being: mintInstall makes a backup copy of it, and after the install is finished, it restores it... and does an update (which is longer if you have a big sources.list :)).

Note: Western Quake 3 is one of the biggest downloads, it depends on Open Arena.. I can't remember how big that is, but it's certainly more than 200MB. Great game though, definitely worth the bandwidth and the slow downloads :)

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mcrofutt wrote: I'm not one of your fools.
Dude, I was talking about myself and that buddy of mine, that Ex-Marine .... I wasn't calling you a "fool", I was referring to myself and that ex-coworker when we were "horsing around" why YouTube wasn't working for me. During our absolutely-not-serious discussion he came up with all those funny theories why YouTube was "probably" down .... That's what I meant with "two fools fooling around". That "theory" about "forgotten Clinton tapes" was also one of the jokes he made; it just came to my mind when I used YouTube as an example above. I wasn't "getting political" ....

Oh dear :roll: Sorry about that misunderstanding. :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Jerry339 wrote: with hardly ever a civil answer
Yeah right, those 1500+ postings of mine are all 100% uncivil and I'm just here to annoy everyone. All those people saying "thanks" because I was able to solve their problem and the ones contacting me via private messages and my private answers are all just a product of my imagination .... :lol:
Jerry339 wrote: Your replies has to be the worst of any forums when someone ask a question
Depends on what is being asked I guess. Besides: Go to any IRC channel and I swear you will miss my "friendliness" for the tone in IRC is much much harsher there :lol: . I said it before: Some people have higher levels of tolerance than others, and some people here seem to have ridiculously low tolerance levels :lol: But hey, just stay away from me and my postings and you will be fine I guess? Welcome to my ignore list :lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Scorp123: I'm always nice to everybody. Sure some people could read the release notes or search the forums before asking, sure some people could come with a better attitude and I too sometimes get irritated by some people's ignorance, but when I do, rather than telling them about it, I simply ignore them in the first place. I love helping out, you do too (obviously... stats speak for themselves you're like a Support Center 10x) but when I feel somebody doesn't deserve that I give him my time I simply don't. No argument, no waste of time, no answer. I don't need to educate him, I don't need to correct his attitude, if I don't like somebody it's like I didn't read his post...

Now of course if it's spam or something which seriously isn't OK here, then I moderate, but that's about it.

Clem

Return to “Other topics”