Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Kendall

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Post by Kendall »

caris_mere wrote:I installed first in German and then wanted English. When I changed the language settings and default to English, everything changed except the menu. I didn't think about using the toggle icons to get that changed. Should that would work? I've reinstalled since then in English.
Yes, toggling the menu icons would have regenerated the menu in English.
caris_mere wrote:I used decibel, and liked it. However in it's current version when using the file explorer to add files/directories to the playlist only adds the files in the directory, not the sub-directories (not satisfactory for me). I just downloaded the newest version 1.03, and it does support this. I just installed the provided deb. I don't know how it is to add it to the repositories, but it sure would be nice (I think).
I wasn't aware 1.03 was out yet. I'll try and have an update sometime later today. :)

EDIT: Update is in the repo.
markfiend wrote:Anyway the menu items post-install didn't work. I figured out a fix though:
mint-fm2 doesn't play nice with parenthesis. The simplest method of dealing with this is to go to /usr/share/applications and edit the .desktop files for Blender so that the change will be persistent. I'll look at the fix package later and see what I can come up with.

Edited to correct a typo.
Last edited by Kendall on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
udy7000

Post by udy7000 »

Hi guys!

It's the first time I'm using Fluxbox, the mint flavour. :-) It's an interesting ride.

Since it's the bug thread, I have 2 to mention:

1. I tried to setup the Internet synchronization, and a "NTP support is not installed" window appeared that offered to install the NTP support. The thing is that when I clicked the button, another window appeared saying:
"Could not install package" The necessary applications to install the package could not be found.

This worked with the base Mint 8 Helena installation.

2. Shouldn't the icon theme be Minty Leaf? I noticed that the file manager displayed a desktop icon for the Desktop folder, but normal folder icons for the Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads folders.

I will test it further, and I hope to stay with it since the computer I installed it on has only 256MB of RAM.

Thanks for your work! :-)

Claudiu
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

udy7000 wrote:1. I tried to setup the Internet synchronization, and a "NTP support is not installed" window appeared that offered to install the NTP support. The thing is that when I clicked the button, another window appeared saying:
"Could not install package" The necessary applications to install the package could not be found.
Try "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get install ntp" in a terminal. Admittedly this is an area I'm particularly unfamiliar with. If this doesn't work, then shoot me a PM and I'll get some more details from you and try to get this worked out.
udy7000 wrote:2. Shouldn't the icon theme be Minty Leaf? I noticed that the file manager displayed a desktop icon for the Desktop folder, but normal folder icons for the Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads folders.
The Thunar file manager depends on an xsettings daemon to be running in order to associate different folder icons for Documents, Music, Videos, etc. Since there is no settings daemon in this distro, all the folders default to the standard green. For some odd reason the Desktop folder is exempt from this. If I can find a workaround then I might issue an update, but stuff like this impacts system resources so if I do something here, I'll probably either make a separate package or put it in the Romeo repo.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Kendall wrote:
markfiend wrote:Anyway the menu items post-install didn't work. I figured out a fix though:
mint-fm2 doesn't play nice with parenthesis. The simplest method of dealing with this is to go to /usr/share/accessories and edit the .desktop files for Blender so that the change will be persistent. I'll look at the fix package later and see what I can come up with.
I think you mean /usr/share/applications? But yes, I edited the desktop files from Blender (foobar) to Blender [foobar] and the change is persistent now, even when toggling icons on and off (which it wasn't when I edited ~/.mint.fm2/submenus/Graphics)

Thanks Kendall, great work! I'm loving my fluxie!
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

fluxmenu->quit->shutdown doesn't seem to work.. The only way I can seem to shut down is fluxmenu->quit->logout then hit the f-key for "halt".
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

markfiend wrote:fluxmenu->quit->shutdown doesn't seem to work.. The only way I can seem to shut down is fluxmenu->quit->logout then hit the f-key for "halt".
Is this repeatable? Also did you install the mint-fm2 update? If you did install it, it's likely that the program that handles triggers for shutdown was not restarted.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

markfiend wrote:fluxmenu->quit->shutdown doesn't seem to work.. The only way I can seem to shut down is fluxmenu->quit->logout then hit the f-key for "halt".
Please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep ciao

ls -l /etc | grep ciao
That should help narrow things down.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Kendall wrote:
Is this repeatable? Also did you install the mint-fm2 update? If you did install it, it's likely that the program that handles triggers for shutdown was not restarted.
It's not repeated since I did install the mint-fm2 update. So scratch that one. :mrgreen:
aplastacalabazas

Post by aplastacalabazas »

Hello,

I will try to explain in English... :wink:

I have been running the Live CD and the button Configure Network of Windows Wireless Drivers give me this error:
_ _ _
Unnamed
Could not find a network configuration tool
_ _ _

Thanks Kendall and thanks Shane for your previous work. I like a lot this mint version.

Bye.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@aplastacalabazas: It's the same way in the Main Edition for me. It's not something I've ever messed with (honestly it's not something I've ever needed). I'll try and get some research done and find a second opinion or two.
wlake

Post by wlake »

I have searched but I may have missed this. For me Synaptic no longer has the mark all upgrades button. Is there an update or what am I missing? Thanks in advance.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

wlake wrote:I have searched but I may have missed this. For me Synaptic no longer has the mark all upgrades button. Is there an update or what am I missing? Thanks in advance.
I believe that option is no longer available in Mint. Marking "all" upgrades can mark unstable ones as well. It's best to leave that to the update manager.
raveyd

Post by raveyd »

I have a Radeon X600 graphics card, and a Samsung SyncMaster 710N monitor, resolution 1280x1024.

I've consistently had the problem with linux mint, that it does not correctly detect the monitor resolution, and I either get something lower (1152x864) or something higher (1300x1024??). There is never an option for the correct resolution.

The only way i can sort it out is by directly editing the xorg.conf file, or with the new xorg, adding an xorg.conf file (because it doesn't exist by default). The proprietary drivers installer does nothing - it doesn't detect the card.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have searched but I may have missed this. For me Synaptic no longer has the mark all upgrades button. Is there an update or what am I missing? Thanks in advance.

I believe that option is no longer available in Mint. Marking "all" upgrades can mark unstable ones as well. It's best to leave that to the update manager.
Clem removed that feature. I highlight the first update while holding the shift key, scroll to the bottom and click on the last update and right click and select mark for update, this marks everything and it's quick and easy.
aplastacalabazas

Hi,

In the last day I install LM-Fluxbox 6 and today install this RC1 and I saw one error in translate to spanish in the main menu: Sound & Video appear like "Sonidio y Vídeo", Sound translate to "Sonido" without that second "i". The right translate is:
"Sonido y Vídeo".

Bye.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

aplastacalabazas wrote:In the last day I install LM-Fluxbox 6 and today install this RC1 and I saw one error in translate to spanish in the main menu: Sound & Video appear like "Sonidio y Vídeo", Sound translate to "Sonido" without that second "i". The right translate is: "Sonido y Vídeo".
Thanks a lot. I'll fix this for the final. :wink:
agwblack

Post by agwblack »

Just thought I'd mention this, although not sure if it is an upstream issue or not: On several occasions, my system has crashed when running both firefox and openoffice.org presentation at the same time. It seems to be fine with other openoffice applications. This has been the ONLY stability issue I have had so far with this otherwise excellent release. If there is other information that I can provide to help then please let me know (log files or anything?) - despite having used linux for over a year now I still consider myself very much a newbie!

Cheers
Andy
aplastacalabazas

Hi, Kendall.

I'm here again.
(In this moments I miss the english class) :)
And again with the translate. Yesterday I install in my laptop this RC1 and I saw:
1.- The translate to spanish of the option Home in the main menu is not "Inicio". Can be keep the "Home" or translate to "Carpeta personal" because the path look the 'personal folder'. Gnome use the this last translate.
1.2.- Graphics appear like "Gráficas" but in other enviroments have the translate "Gráficos".
1.3.- "Sonidio y Vídeo" to 'Sound & Video' I told you: without the second "i", "Sonido y Vídeo"

2.- Ciao is not translate, is not confuse but I know if this script would have translate in the future.

3.- Synaptic have parts in english and parts in spanish. Why? Need I run something in the terminal?

Now other point.
4.- When I put my pendrive Sony this have stranges characters in the Label: "U BVU?ASU?".
In Media the folder have the same name.
In thunar of my xfce Elyssa is "4G Removable Volume" and in Media is "Disk". In Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope with gnome is "Soporte de 4,0 GiB" in Media is the same.

5.- would have more type fonts the final?

I'm sorry for my poor english. :(
My next steps is test the mint tools.

Bye.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@awgblack: I'll try and break a system doing this. I'll send you a PM if I find anything.

@aplastacalabazas: I haven't yet pushed another mint-fm2 update, but I will be sure and use your notes on the menu system translations. There is a translation thread for it that I'm using for this. Ciao has not been translated yet. I'll look into this and possibly start a translation thread for it as well. I haven't touched synaptic in any capacity so I'm unsure as to how well it handles these kinds of things.

Regarding your USB drive, I'll install a system in Spanish and see if I can find anything.

I don't plan on adding additional fonts for the final as they eat up a lot of space and are quite easy to install.
aplastacalabazas

@awgblack: I had that problem frecuently in Gnome (Daryna). The guilty is NSpluginWrapper... well... I think.
In other times java + flash are complicated for me. I learned to work for prevent. My extrem step is kill firefox and nsplugin.

@Kendall: The Label of my pendrive is by default, I never changed the label because can't change it. In the LiveCD the strange name also appear. Is not language problem.

Bye.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”