panel icon sizes (SOLVED) - sort of

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rizla

panel icon sizes (SOLVED) - sort of

Post by Rizla »

Hi guys,

Anyone know if it's possible to shrink the icons in the panel so that they don't fill the entire height, i.e. with a bit of white space around them. For example I have Firefox in the panel and also Compuer and the Home folders, they'd look so much nicer shrunk.

Cheers in advance :)

Rizla.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: panel icon sizes

Post by viking777 »

All my tray icons do have space around them, not much I admit half a millimetre at most. If that is too little for you then why not try increasing the size of the panel? (right click/properties/size).
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Hi, thanks for your suggestion in resizing the panel, but this isn't ideal as I have a Widescreen display (1920x1080) and I need as much screen estate as possible - I've shrunk the panel down as it is.

In my panel I have icons for Computer folder, Home folder, Firefox Gnome PPP dialer and Search (the notification area is great with plenty of space top and bottom around the icons).

The "Computer folder" fills the height from top to bottom, no gap.
The "Home Folder" has 2 pixels spare at the top.
Firefox overlaps by 1 pixel.
And Gnome PPP dialer and the Search (magnifier) icon both have plenty of space top and bottom around 3 pixels top and bottom and look perfect.

Shame they are all so inconsistant.
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Well, I'm answering my own question - seems that nobody had an idea how to sort this.

It appears that the icons change size depending on the size of the panel - and at the same time depending on what size is selected will either give some white space around the icons, or in other sizes, not. Setting the height of the panel to 29 makes the panel an average size, but the icons then gain some white space. Setting the panel to 21 makes the bar nice and thin and also makes the icons have white space around them. Sizes in-between mearly change the panel size and don't effect the icons.

I imagine it's something to do with how the scalling code was written in gnome.

So if I stick with a thin panel of 21, this is ok, although the tasks running tend to have their icons cut off at the top.
29 Seems a bit too big of a panel for my taste, but everything gets displayed correctly.

In essence the icons can only be certain sizes. Wierd one, but anyhu :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”