help needed with Install inside windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barcelonaR10

help needed with Install inside windows

Post by barcelonaR10 »

hi
i tried linux mint and i liked it :D
i have a laptop with windows 7 and when i try to install Linux mint inside windows it start installing files and before it ends i get this message:

" Could not access the CD, please make sure applications are not using it and try again"

when try again it starts over and ends up with the same message !!
i tried installing Linux on my desktop with XP but same problem. :(

any help would be appreciated :)
thank u.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZekeMenuar

Re: help needed with Install inside windows

Post by ZekeMenuar »

I'm a admitted Linux dummy, but I'll try to help.

I didn't install Mint inside Windows, rather I created a small partition just for Mint. It made more sense to me to install Mint this way.

If you have the drive space:

Create a 7 or 8 gig partition in Windows, don't format it.
Try to install mint. When you get to the partitioning part of Mint, it should give you an option to "Use Largest Existing Free Space" or something like it.
Check that option.
Mint should install in that partition.

That is how I have Mint installed on my computer.

Hopefully an expert will show up and verify that the way I described will work. It work for me.

ZM
barcelonaR10

Post by barcelonaR10 »

thank you ZekeMenuar
i want to install linux inside windows so i donot change the boot sequence (keeping windows first)
ZekeMenuar

Post by ZekeMenuar »

Changing the boot order is really easy.
Use Synaptic and install Startup-Manager, it will appear in the Control Center.

You can have Mint or Windows set to boot first.

I have mine set to have Windows boot up first.
barcelonaR10

Post by barcelonaR10 »

hi
i have tried linux 6 on my desktop. i had two hard drives one for linux and one for windows. installation went smoothly but after restarting the computer i could not access linux nor windows.
iam scared to install linux and using its boot loader. l donot want to damage my windows.

Q: if for some reason i donot want linux any more can i remove it with out effecting windows?

thank you again

Return to “Beginner Questions”