Connect PC to Mint through ethernet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kuttappi

Connect PC to Mint through ethernet

Post by kuttappi »

I searched for this but couldn't find it. I am totally new to Linux.. Noob!!
I have a windows 7 laptop and an old desktop with Mint...i am planning to bridge the connections between my laptop which has internet connect from my router...i know i can just buy a usb wireless receiver and connect to my Desktop...but is there any way to bridge from laptop to Desktop...cuz when i tried(bridge) mint didnt find any ethernet connections...all it has is wireless connections....do i have to install any drivers for ethernet /Local network to work...???

as i said i am a total noob...if my question is stupid please forgive me...as you can see this is my first post :D (also my english is not good.sorry for that too)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Connect PC to Mint through ethernet

Post by deleted »

I really like No Machine (either FreeNX or www.nomachine.com).
Install the server on Mint and the client on Windows.

The connection, however, is based on your networking where your computers live.
In my case, I have Linux at work and Linux and Windows at home. To get to my Linux at Work (or at Home),
I have to vpn into my company's network so my ip address is visible on the same network. After I'm in, then I can use the No Machine client
(there are gnu versions, but I use No Machine) to go from Windows-> Linux, Mac-> Linux or Linux-> Linux.

It is much faster than vnc or exporting (or rsh or ssh -X) back to my workstation display.

-Hinto
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

kuttappi wrote:i am planning to bridge the connections between my laptop which has internet connect from my router.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 61&start=0
Some context/data is needed

So it is a router question, how to create a bridge connection on that router
Or, which router doesn't have any ports (Ethernet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/home ... iagram.htm
An Ethernet switch can easily solve that problem (connect the Ethernet switch to the router and either both computers Desktop and notebook via the switch or some other mix of Ethernet switch and direct router connection
--doing this you don't need any windows style ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or router bridging modes
deleted

Post by deleted »

My fault...
I should have read more thoroughly.
Thanks for the clarification.
-H

Return to “Beginner Questions”