Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mf-linux

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by mf-linux »

Hello,
1) I've updated today (with mintUpdate) the pulseaudio-related packages, hoping these changes could arrange the sound problems, but they had no effect: still no sound, as previously posted ("at the startup, no sound at all and the following message appears on the Kmixer/audio icon on right lower corner: "Phonon multimedia library - The audio/playback device HDA Intel (ALC861 Analog) does not respond - Falling back to ...Pulse Audio" (more or less, the message dissapears quickly). Then, I go to System Settings, Multimedia, Device Preferences and click on test: the two options with PulseAudio do not work, but after clicking once or several times (variable) on HDA Intel, the test works and I hear the sound. However, music players still have no sound, in spite they are really playing (cursor moves). I reviewed PCM level in Kmixer and it is OK.")
Please, any suggestion to arrange this annoying problem?
2) I performed backup of a large number of files from my laptop to an external hard disk (by "copy and paste", as many times before with Mint KDE 7). The day after, when I plugged again the external disk, it appeared labelled with illegible symbols (I mean the "name" of the disk). I could perfectly look into its contents (every file and folder was accessible), but when trying to open a microsoft office file with crossover, the system said there was no predefined application to open those files. Same operation in my laptop hard disk runs perfectly. I don know why this change of label of the external hard disk after copying with Mint KDE 8 and the missing link with some software.
Thank you in advance for suggestions, opinions, or similar experiences, specially with audio problems.
condowax

Post by condowax »

I tried to mount and iso and I noticed that unlike the Main edition this edition has no tool to manage iso images. After some research I found this tool Silicon to manage images in kde 4. I found it to be a pretty good tool you should consider it for this or the next release of Mint KDE because mounting isos should be as easy as in the main edition.
yeeshkull

Post by yeeshkull »

I'm having issues with changing themes. When I select a new theme, the wallpaper of the new theme does not change to the newly selected theme's wallpaper. I'm also having a problem with KoolDock. I installed it via Synaptic but I can't find it on my system (tried using search on the Kick Off panel) and synaptic confirms it as being resident on my system.
condowax

Post by condowax »

Songbird fails to show the shared music from Frostwire. It shows that there is shared music but when you click on it there are no songs. This also happened in banshee, it says that connection with shared music failed.

Also my Ipod nano 3g doesn't work with my system. It is shown with all the other devices but neither songbird or banshee displays it.
xXShadow

Post by xXShadow »

Hi. I found first BUG :D

It's with RAM usage Info...

How it can be? :D please repair it :)
there is 3 different ram info :D
Airdack

Post by Airdack »

When installing rhytmbox on Mint 8 KDE CE there is a problem with USB devices, I cannot 'safely remove' any device from within dolphin or from the device notifier, only from within rhytmbox, even when rhytmbox was not open to begin with I need to start it to 'eject' the device!
doomed

Post by doomed »

Don't know if this down to me or not but when I use update manager I get this message.

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/dists/karmic/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.30 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/dists/karmic/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.30 80]
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

doomed wrote:Don't know if this down to me or not but when I use update manager I get this message.

Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
It usually means that the server is temporarily down or heavily loaded (Like when a new CE RC1 is released :wink: ). It happens occasionally. Best thing to do is to wait a half hour or so and try again. If the problem lasts more than a few hours I believe that Husse wishes to be PM'd about it but only after a few hours have passed. It's best to avoid any false alarms.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please don't PM me about errors in Ubuntu servers, only Mint ones
Just checked and it was a 404 - content seems to have been removed
Husse

Post by Husse »

This post just merged
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Husse wrote:Please don't PM me about errors in Ubuntu servers, only Mint ones
Oops, sorry about that. I saw the "main" in the URL and it didn't click on which "main" it was. :oops:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I have just updated my installation with a huge amount of packages. The Mint ATI proprietary driver installer seems still to not work. Nothing happends when I try to install. :(

But now I have instead installed the ATI Catalyst 10.1 driver successfully! "Automatic" installation - and it works! For the first time i my life I can have 3D in a KDE4 desktop! :D

glxgears:
881 frames in 5.0 seconds
970 frames in 5.0 seconds
983 frames in 5.0 seconds
977 frames in 5.0 seconds
fgl_glxgears:
341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 68.200 FPS
364 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.800 FPS
342 frames in 5.0 seconds = 68.400 FPS
365 frames in 5.0 seconds = 73.000 FPS

This was nice for me, but you still should try to fix the Mint Proprietary ATI driver installer.

EDIT: I have an ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP graphics card.
doomed

Post by doomed »

Just remembered it was something I added so problem solved.

On start up I keep get this;

Is there anything I can do about it?
lil_rich

Post by lil_rich »

lil_rich wrote:I also have a "wake after sleep" (resume after suspend to RAM) problem. After suspending my netbook (closing the lid), waking back up takes about 30s. Note that booting takes a similar amount of time (very impressive!). I see the screen turn on, but it remains blank, The cursor will blink on briefly, and the password box will finally appear. This doesn't seem to depend on how much is running.
I have not had this problem with Ubuntu Karmic, or Mint 7 XFCE.

To reproduce:
1) Have Mint KDE running.
2) Close lid
3) open lid, press power button to resume

Hardware: MSI Wind u123
Kernel: 2.6.31-16-generic

Let me know if you need more info. I don't have a clue where to start looking.

Other than this small problem, I'm extremely impressed with Mint 8 KDE! I'm pleasantly surprised to see only 26% RAM usage (out of 1Gb) with all this eye candy running. It's not much worse than my usual XFCE setup!
UPDATE:
I fixed this issue by turning off "Lock screen on resume" in the Power Management settings.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

doomed wrote:

Just remembered it was something I added so problem solved.

On start up I keep get this;

Is there anything I can do about it?
Yup, I've been getting that myself but on a random basis when the desktop appears. I can't attribute it to anything I added as I haven't added hardly anything at all. Again, it only shows up once in awhile during boot or reboot and I haven't been able to trace it to any root cause. Haven't seen it in awhile though. Maybe the last batch of updates fixed?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

@xXShadow

That not a bug :)

1 - shows RAM usage in GB
2 - shows RAM usage in MB... 1 GB = 1024 MB, hence the apparent difference
3 - shows memory used plus cached data.
Husse