MacPup is an interesting little distro ...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timber

MacPup is an interesting little distro ...

Post by timber »

I just downloaded and installed MacPup, a very nice little distro based on, (you guessed it), Puppy Linux.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=macpup
I installed it to a virtual drive in VirtualBox.

It uses Enlightment, Windows Manager which I have found to be a nice simple but great looking user interface.
It's FAST, of course and loads totally into ram so there is no real need to install it other than not having to use a CD or USB (if your system boots to USB, mine doesn't). Configuration and files are saved to a file if you use the CD boot.

My widescreen laptop resolution doesn't seem to be supported (1280x800) but I just run it at 1024x768 and it's not too distracting.
Did I mention that it's sure got a great looking UI ... oh, I guess I did. Nice glossy panel with animated icons and the menus extend making them quite useful.
I'm surprised how full featured MacPup is, it has a ton of applications ... especially for such a small, light, fast OS.

Initial setup is a breeze, internet/ network is very straightforward and display is easy to change.
There is a nice settings menu that appears to be full featured as well as a helpful little wizard to get things set up.
I have yet to fully explore this OS but I wanted to share what I've found just by installing it.
There is a handy, "One-Click" installation script here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42876 if you want to install it to your HD.

I'm sticking with Mint Xfce or Mint Main for my general computing pleasure and work but MacPup makes a nice little platform to surf and get my FAST fix when I need it.

timber
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
myspacecommassergio

Re: MacPup is an interesting little distro ...

Post by myspacecommassergio »

haha to funny guy I was downloading Puppy Linux all last night. I'm planing to install it onto this old dell I have... I mean OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD like geezer Dell old with 128Mb ram. XP is slloooooooooooooooooooooow on it. Maybe Puppy will make it faster. I'm impatient I hate slow. Click start and I got to wait 5seconds for it to pop up. Sad becuase it's a Pentium 4. Maybe Puppy will bark some life into this pc. O.o

Got to install it.
:roll:
myspacecommassergio

I installed Puppy Linux into that Dell wow... It boosted the speed up for real! Now the menu opens when I click it and guess what? No waiting 5 seconds for it to appear :D

Video playback is a bit slow eh...I did get this really nasty error first time playing a video where all the colors were off but messing around with the Color settings fixed that problem. Based on what people were writting about Puppy linux i was expecting this DELL to run almost as fast as my HP with 4GB Ram and AmD turion x2 but eh not as fast as I thuaght (becuase people will say it will make old computers fast as rockets). Still there was a minor speed boost in almost everything that I used to do in windows now works better and faster in Linux so it did definately bark life into this PC. No doubt! Great Linux distro for crap computers! It works and I could never get Linux Mint to work for this DELL but Pup Linux works fine on it. :D

Awesome!
>=O

So, how's this MacPup how's it different from PupLinux?
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

myspacecommassergio wrote:I installed Puppy Linux into that Dell wow... It boosted the speed up for real! Now the menu opens when I click it and guess what? No waiting 5 seconds for it to appear :D

Video playback is a bit slow eh...I did get this really nasty error first time playing a video where all the colors were off but messing around with the Color settings fixed that problem. Based on what people were writting about Puppy linux i was expecting this DELL to run almost as fast as my HP with 4GB Ram and AmD turion x2 but eh not as fast as I thuaght (becuase people will say it will make old computers fast as rockets). Still there was a minor speed boost in almost everything that I used to do in windows now works better and faster in Linux so it did definately bark life into this PC. No doubt! Great Linux distro for crap computers! It works and I could never get Linux Mint to work for this DELL but Pup Linux works fine on it. :D

Awesome!
>=O

So, how's this MacPup how's it different from PupLinux?
On Video playback speed - are you using Xvesa or Xorg?

I think the latest releases of Puppy have kinda lost their way... or maybe it's just me. Whenever i use distros like that i can't get a proper resolution and it looks 'fuzzy'. But the best i've found is Slitaz. It's essentially what Mint would be if we decided to make a slimline version.
timber

Post by timber »

Hi Superewza,

Slitaz IS a nice distro.
Thanks for getting me to take a good look at it, Superewza.
I think what I like most about Slitaz is that I have something resembling a command line and can "get" something if I need it.
It seems to be a very refined version of Puppy and I like your comparison to a Mint slimeline version.
I will most likely stay on top of LM Xfce CE as a main boot but Siltaz may well end up on my grub2 menu.
Thanks for the suggestion.

timber
myspacecommassergio

nevermind Puppy totally corrupted itself when it frooze... i was complaining abt it in another thread lol..

You can find my tiny rant here on this post lol..

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40454

I don't remember wich video option I choose, it was the first one to the left during install (recommended one), the one that said it was better or something... but video playback was slow as in it would take a while to load or freeze the OS for a few seconds then start smoothly but that was due to my major lackadge of PC ram not becuase I belive it was puppy itself. After adjusting the colors manually in the menu of the video player all videos worked fine. =]

I had the same issue in XP before i just wiped it off (it was a restriced school computer i found in the trash anyways). The issue with me has to do with 128MB of Ram in this ancient dell.

Puppy corrupts itself with me everytime it freezes and I have to hold the power button to shut it off guess what? The OS won't ever load again... I'm laying off the scooby snax for a while it was nice until it bugged out on me. Not even grub works anymore on the puppy linux start up. So much for puppy power. :s

Return to “Chat about Linux”