Running Gnome and KDE side by side

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blazemore

Running Gnome and KDE side by side

Post by blazemore »

What are the issues when running both the KDE and Gnome desktop environments on the same user account?
Is this wise?
If I install mint-meta-kde, will everything break? (I'm currently running mint 8 x64)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Running Gnome and KDE side by side

Post by bobcollard »

blazemore wrote:What are the issues when running both the KDE and Gnome desktop environments on the same user account?
Is this wise?
If I install mint-meta-kde, will everything break? (I'm currently running mint 8 x64)
You can install KDE desktop over Gnome with no problems. Or, Gnome on top of KDE. They share so many packages that they are completely compatible. The main difference is when you install Mint KDE CE you get a different menu system and different installed applications. It is more work to bring your system back up to par. If you install KDE CE side by side with Gnome Main, for instance, you will see the difference. KDE x64 has not been released yet, but "Soon".

Return to “Software & Applications”