How can I get nice fonts with Fluxbox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
panzer

How can I get nice fonts with Fluxbox?

Post by panzer »

Hello,

I have the main edition (Gnome) installed into my first laptop. I can control my fonts when I go to control center---appearance---fonts. Then I chose, subpixel (lcd), hintfull and 96 dpi.
My second laptop, I installed Helena "Fluxbox" RC 1. I dont see where I can adjust my fonts so they look like my another machine?
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: How can I get nice fonts with Fluxbox?

Post by Kendall »

Right click the desktop and go to "System -> Preferences -> Appearance". You'll see something to change the system font with toward the bottom left of that window.

Or open mintConfig, go to the "Desktop" tab and select "Appearance".
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

For fine tweaking fonts to the level I think you want to do, you can manually create the fonts config file: ~/.fonts.conf In there you can define your settings to the very last detail. Here are some links that should cover everything.

http://www.fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration

Here are the contents my ~/.fonts.conf file tweaked for my LCD laptop display. Maybe it can help you get started.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?> 
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd"> 

<!-- the cathectic LCD tweaks, from linuxquestions.org, 
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=1361098#post1361098 --> 

<fontconfig> 

<!-- Disable sub-pixel rendering. X detects it anyway, and if you set this as well, it just looks really horrible  --> 
<match target="font" > 
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" > 
   <const>none</const> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 
 <match target="font" > 
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting"> 
   <bool>true</bool> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 
 <match target="font" > 
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"> 
   <const>hintfull</const> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 

<!-- The first part of the 'magic.' This makes the fonts start to look nice, but some of the shapes will be distorted, so hinting is 
needed still --> 
 <match target="font" > 
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias"> 
   <bool>true</bool> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 

<!-- Autohinter is not turned on automatically. Only disable this if you have recompiled Freetype with the bytecode interpreter, which 
is run automatically. Although to be honest, Freetype are right, there isn't much difference between the two. Note that OpenOffice is 
built against the bytecode interpreter, so even if you have compiled it and override it with the autohinter, OOo will still use the 
bytecode interpreter --> 
 <match target="pattern" > 
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint"> 
   <bool>true</bool> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 

<!-- Helvetica is a non true type font, and will look bad. This replaces it with whatever is the default sans-serif font --> 
 <match target="pattern" name="family" > 
  <test name="family" qual="any" > 
   <string>Helvetica</string> 
  </test> 
  <edit mode="assign" name="family" > 
   <string>sans-serif</string> 
  </edit> 
 </match> 
 <dir>~/.fonts</dir> 
</fontconfig>
ungalee

Post by ungalee »

What kind of education do I need to become an Interpreter? Like what classes do I need to take? (Obviously I know to take a language class. What should my grades be now? (I'm in 8th grade a.k.a. next year is high school) How many years of college do I need?

Return to “Software & Applications”