Software Manager Categories

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cientista

Software Manager Categories

Post by Cientista »

Hello everyone,

I've just moved from Ubuntu to Mint. For my personal taste, it fits better. All the Mint tools seems to be a bit more intuitive to me than the ones in Ubuntu.

However the Mint's Software Manager (mintInstall) lacks the same categories as present in the equivalent Ubuntu tool. I know that I could use the Synaptic Package Manager to add or remove applications, but, I believe, the point of the Software Manager is to browse for some application you don't even know it exist and give it a try.

So my question is: is there a way to add categories to the Software Manager? I am particularly interested in the "Science" category of the equivalent Ubuntu Add/Remove Programs. (I am obviously talking about not only the category but all the software that falls in that category)

I'm guessing that it is a question of add new repositories...

Thank you in advance.

(I am using Linux Mint 8 )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Software Manager Categories

Post by remoulder »

The mint software manager is aimed at new users and only lists the most popular applications. As you say you can use synaptic, but as mint is based on karmic, there's nothing to stop you installing the ubuntu software manager if you prefer that.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Cientista

Post by Cientista »

How to do that? (Guess I am newbie myself)
Can I have both installed at the same time?

Thanks
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Open synaptic and look up packagekit and app-install-data.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Software & Applications”