setting up a connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jude13

setting up a connection

Post by jude13 »

hi there... installed mint 8 and love it ... m trying to setup a hybrid ( cdma+ evdo) connection using the "network connections" manager... iv been able to set it up under the "mobile broadband" heading but whenever i try to connect, it just doesnt connect....
the same thing is installed in windows xp on another lappy and coz i live in a remote area i need to pick cdma from the dropdown list manually ; the default being evdo... i dont know how to get the same option in linux...

im a recent convert and dont know much...sorry if im being longwinded.. please suggest a point and click method or a total idiots guide... thank you!

here are the 2 files included by the manufacturer

README
how to compile

1 Download and install kernel source code (if it is not in the released version);(e.g.: Install it at /opt/linux-2.6.18)
if it is the first time to install, you need:
make menuconfig //kernel configurations (generally use default configurations, exit and save)
make modules_prepare //prepare for making modules

2 Modify KERNELDIR=/opt/linux-2.6.18 in Makefile;

3 After make //, produce relevant kernel's drive file---ztemt.ko
For ARM CPU, compile instruction will be
make CC=arm-linux-gcc LD=arm-linux-ld TARGET=xscale-be-elf ARCH=arm V=1

4 ./load to load ztemt.ko to linux kernel;

HOW TO
1, Load driver-zte evdo

1),Copy ztemt.ko from release's relevant directory to certain directory (take /home/lm/ztemt for example);
e.g., you need install Fedora core 6:
cp release/Fedora/FC6/ztemt.ko /home/lm/ztemt/

2),cp us-test/wvdial-conf /etc/

3),Load driver
insmod /home/lm/ztemt/ztemt.ko

4),Insert network card;

5),Run wvdial and to dial successfully (need root authorization). Normally, the following prompts will appear:
--> pid of pppd: 2450
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Authentication (CHAP) started
--> Authentication (CHAP) successful
--> local IP address 220.205.100.27
--> remote IP address 220.192.56.19
--> primary DNS address 220.192.32.103
--> secondary DNS address 220.192.0.130
--> Script /etc/ppp/ip-up run successful
--> Default route Ok.
--> Nameserver (DNS) Ok.
--> Connected... Press Ctrl-C to disconnect

6,FAQ
1),require software support:
udev
wvdial

2),It might not be able to resolve domain name after running wvdial to dial successfully.
In this case, you need manually add primary DNS address and secondary DNS address to /etc/resolv.conf.

aint making much sense to me ... :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: setting up a connection

Post by remoulder »

Have you compiled those drivers or are you asking how to? They seem pretty old and you might not need them as newer kernels have built in drivers for some zte models. Is this a USB dongle? You need to tell us a little more about the device.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

alrighty u give me hope that i dont have to muck through all of that .... but as for info its this--

ZTE AC8700 modem and the model is ZTE MG 478.
Information from product page:
Specification:
Frequency: 800MHz
Dimension: 80mm × 36mm × 12.8mm
Interface: USB
O/S: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA/linux
Feature:
Voice call Dialer,Phonebook,SMS Manager,Call history
Compliant with CDMA2000 1X
High-speed data access:
EV-DO Rel.0 up to 2.4Mbps
CDMA2000 1X up to 153.6Kbps
Support timing,flow statistics
USB Interface
Leadless to meet the requirements of European standard RoHS

is this info useful?... its got both the cdma and evdo capabilities..iv been able to set it up by the network connections method but i need to select the cdma option as evdo aint here in my area yet... tell me what other info would help and i ll post it up.. i would really prefer a graphical point click if possible... thank you!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

So network manager is seeing the device and allowing you to setup the connection OK? I think viking777 is the one you need for this, he knows a lot more about it than I do.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

yup i think thats what it is as far im able to understand.. i tried setting up a pure cdma plug and surf modem and its working perfect! ...I dont understand why the zte aint :? ... all i can think of is its trying to connect in the evdo setting but i dont kow how to make it take up the cdma signal. or maybe im just being stupid ... how do i get an opinion from viking 777 on this ? yea im new to the internet in general :wink:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

jude13 wrote:ow do i get an opinion from viking 777
He may pick up this thread if you wait, or you can find one of his posts and click on the PM to send him a message asking him to look at it

jude13

Post by jude13 »

ah then im gonna look round for him tomorrow...thank you remoulder for lookin into this.. i aint still been able to get it goin.. hope i have better luck tomorrow.. good night!

Return to “Beginner Questions”