Freshly Installed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
huwaw69

Freshly Installed

Post by huwaw69 »

I have freshly installed linux mint 8 'helena' on my laptop
it's currently in dual booth with xp

My question is how can i install usb_modeswitch if the only means of internet access to my
place is using a mobile broadband?

i can't seem to connect to the internet or i can't even find my usb broadband
even though i have configured it properly with the no. *99#
and the apn no...

if i download usb_modeswitch in windows, and try to compile it in the newly installed 'helena' will there be a complication,
like required libraries or something?

What should i do now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prubin73
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freshly Installed

Post by prubin73 »

You can download the .deb file in Windows, then transfer it to Mint (directly if Mint is loading your Windows partition as a drive, otherwise via a memory stick). Once you have it in Mint, you should be able to right-click the .deb file and install it. The only complication comes if you don't have all the packages on which usb-switch depends installed -- the package manager will try to download them and, in the absence of a Internet connection, will fail. You can check the list of dependencies at http://packages.debian.org/sid/usb-modeswitch and download the ones you need to Windows.

/Paul
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Freshly Installed

Post by remoulder »

You don't need to download the .deb file or compile the source. Just open synaptic package manager and search for usb-modeswitch. Right click and choose install then click Apply.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”