I get sound only part of the time

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

I get sound only part of the time

Post by mgh »

Hi All,

New to Linux, and new to LM. I really like LM!

One issue though. When I boot to LM, I get sound only about 70% of the time. SO I get the chime when I sign in, and can listen to music, whatever.

The other 30% or so, I get no sound at all.

I had the exact same thing happening when I was using Ubuntu.

I am not changing any setting, just get sound sometimes, and other times nothing.

I am using an inexpensive SoundBlaster card. I have not checked with LM, but with Ubuntu I would get sound using the onboard soundcard.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

you might be getting a lovely hardware conflict/swap.

so do you have one onboard sound card and one pci one?

if you are make sure that the onboard one is disabled in your bios.
this still may not stop linux using it but could do the trick.

the other thing to test is if you remove you pci sound card do you get audio all the time from the on board one?

what could be happening is that you installed mint and it detected you pci sound card and set it up. but due to crazy hardware/bios gremlins some times the on board sound is found and used, but the config is setup for the pci one so no sound.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Thanks for the reply.

I will try the tests you suggested.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Thanks!

I will definitely check that out.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

a little help?

Post by mgh »

I installed asound, but too much of a newbie to know how to access the program.

I can find the asound folder in my /proc directory, but still don't know how to open the program.

Can anyone help?

Thank You.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

thanks for the solution

Post by mgh »

Thanks for the help.

Asound is doing the trick.

Funny thing is, LM will still boot without sound at the log-in page, but once I log in, asound does its thing, and as the DE loads, I get the "chime".

Thanks for giving me the solution.

Return to “Beginner Questions”